Mod-V vs. Flat Bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueultra2

Reaction score
Is there any advantage of owning one over the other? Pros/Cons? I'm in the market of buying a boat and undecided on which to get. I'm looking at a 1648.

Flat bows will draft slightly less water and slide over obstacles easier.

Mod-v's take waves much better while running. A flat bow will jar your teeth out in a chop.

Mod v is a lot better when youre stationary in high winds as well. Its pretty common to get soaked when a big wave comes cruising at you even when youre moving slow in a flat bow boat.

I love my mod. landau 1680. I still get through about 6: water and seem to cut the chop better than my old flat bow. When the water is thin, your sure to get in with a jon!

All good answers so far. I've never had a flat bottom tinny, but I have owned a number of Carolina Skiffs, which are flat-bottomed fiberglass boats. I still own a 16 ft Carolina Skiff at another location. I agree that the flat bottom makes them real skinny, but it also can bang the riders up when the waves get too big.

My present tinny - 160W Lowe semi-V-- handles waves way better than the flat-bottomed CS's do. I like it a lot. I will have to decide, in a few years, which of the two boats I will keep as my ONLY boat. If I had to answer that question right now....I'd likely keep the Semi-V tinny. regards, Rich

I have had both Deep V's and flats, my current skimmer is a "mod V" or Semi V and I have to say that I like it.

I cant take two foot swells head on without getting soaked, but if you quarter into the waves, it is not so bad.

We have a lake up here that changes like a woman changes her mind! (Sorry ladies but its true) and I have been caught a few miles off the ramp, heading into the wind and chop and did just fine. Toss in a bilge pump for good measure!

B

rusty.hook said:
Put a center console in it, and stay dry.LOL

Haha. I love your quote rusty!

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear and boat for what I said I paid for it."

That's great!

Latest posts