Measure you boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post. Been searching around and I notice alot of the jon boats are classified by a four number sequence, Ex. 1440 Aluimicraft. I know these are measurements. What measurements are they and how do I come up with my boats measurments? This the first boat I have owned, so I'm new to all of this. Please be specific. Thanks in advance.

First two digits are length in feet. Ex. 14' long.

Second two digits have a couple of meanings. On a flatbottom or mod vee (hard chine hull), they are the width of the bottom, in inches. Therefore, a 1448 is a flatbottom or mod vee that is 14' long, and is 48" at the bottom.

On a vee hull (or any soft/rounded chine hull), the numbers are more confusing. Some list them as the beam (widest point at the top of the boat), and some list them as the width at the top of the transom. In my experience, the former was more common. Therefor, my old Grumman V1256 was 12' long, and 56" inches at the beam.

howards cowards said:
Thanks for the info. Is there anything else I should know about my boat when I ask for advice.
You need to know what transom height you have 15" or 20".

Just one other thing....most/many boats LENGTH stated measurement is, .....as pointed out above...rounded up to the next longest foot.

A 13 ft boat is often just under 13 true feet. a 14 is under 14 feet etc. I have never seen a boat that actually measured LONGER than its stated (nominal) size... Rich

richg99 said:
Just one other thing....most/many boats LENGTH stated measurement is, .....as pointed out above...rounded up to the next longest foot.

A 13 ft boat is often just under 13 true feet. a 14 is under 14 feet etc. I have never seen a boat that actually measured LONGER than its stated (nominal) size... Rich

I had one. Was called a 15' boat, but was really 15' 7". Probably was registered that way as the registration cost increases at 16'.

Latest posts