floor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinsquid

Reaction score
i want to put a floor in my boat , some thing simple and removable to make it more stable to stand up . the boat is a 12' semi-v i'll be using wood (not PT) . my question is how do you determine how to level/brace the floor ? does anyone have any pics on how they did theirs ?

I used aluminum angle riveted to the braces in the front of the boat, and it works great and is very light. That way I only have to replace the wood floor in the future. It was super easy and cost about $40 in materials including the rivet gun, rivets, and aluminum angle. I bet i had the whole framing piece done in about 1.5 hours. I used a cheap cutoff wheel and eyeballed everything and fabricated by scratch. You can see more pics if you look in my mod thread.

this is what i'm trying to put a floor in i'm just trying to get some ideas . would you brace it from side to side or front to back ?[img][/im
g]
SANY0100.jpg

SANY0097.jpg

I think you'll want a brace down the middle of the boat then several cross braces from side to side.

First I'd figure out how wide I want the floor to be and put a couple measured marks down each side of the hull where you think it should go. Then tape a string straight across between those marks, that will help you figure out how high your bracing should be (minus the height of the plywood).

Choice of materials for the bracing is yours, some use aluminum and some use 2x2s. Keep measuring and make sure it's close to level throughout as you go. You can use cardboard to make the patterns for the plywood floor sections when you're ready for that.

Then you get to decide whether to use carpet, vinyl, or some other coating over the plywood.

Decisions, decisions! :lol:

If those seats are sturdy, you could run stringers front to back and attach them to the seats. Then put a few cross pieces between the stringers, and even a few down pieces going from the stringers down to the braces on the hull. That should make a nice firm platform for the floor.

thanks comstocker the string thing sounds like a good idea . i'm going to be using 2x2s or 2x3s for my framing/bracing under the plywood

Latest posts