Motor size Limit ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT

Reaction score
I'm have a question for the group . If you add side controls to a Jon boat can you go a bigger motor ? or could you get limit plate changed so that you would be legal ? Like a tiller boat has a lower limit than a center control or a side control boat , on the same size boat .
Like when you would add a jet to an outboard it's bigger than the limit is on the boat . Could somebody shed some light on this ,Please . Thank You .

I think a lot of it depends on what state your from. My state (Pa..) is pretty hard on stuff like that. If the plate says 25 HP max. you had better not get caught with a bigger motor.

Also if your involved in an accident, your insurance probably won't cover you and you'll probably be cited. It always seemed to be more of a hastle that it's worth. Just my 2 cents. Todd

Sorry I thought I did up date my profile . Anyhow I live in the northern panhandle of West Virginia . I love to fish the streams and the ohio river , and lakes in WV , Ohio , and Pa . I fish for Bass , Pan fish , Cats , Muskies . I just was wondering , I'm all about be legal , I just wondering how these guys running a jet boats with a 40hp / 25hp jet or a bigger than what limit tag said .

I have wondered this too.

For example the Lowe 1455 has a HP limit of 40hp. And the 1455 side console has a Hp limit of 50.

Does this mean that with any Jon boat if you add a console and remote steer you can bump the hp up 5-10 hp?

Most of theses boats came handle higher HP's, especially the lighter two-strokes, but I think it all comes down to the insurance companies and liability. If you have an "incident" where something or (Heaven forbid) somebody gets hurt, the insurance company will be the first one to exit the boat... In other words, you'll be on your own with an over-powered boat, even though you may operate it responsibly.

Well with that question answer , On the motor plate it has a weight limit . My question about this is the weight limit does that include everything in the boat with the motor , trolling motor , battery , etc or just the people and fishing stuff ?

Forgive me I'm just trying to get schooled up on all the small details of a jon . I'm looking to buy a jon vs size , and hp and weight limit , maybe a 16x48 mv or 14x48 .

Mine gives me both. A max person and a max weight, and a total max weight with motor and person's.

I know several people who have the same size boat that I have and are rated for a 50 hp motor. Mine is rated for 40hp. I have a tiller and they have a side console. I think it has something to do with the bracing of the boat.

Latest posts