What's my outboard worth?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonners

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking to sell my 1993 Johnson Tracker 40 horse. It is in good condition and is stored indoors in the winter. Just a ball park figure would help me out a ton. Thank you for your help =D> .

it depends on the area you are in, why not take a few minutes to complete your profile to include your location
I am sure thatwill help

Get the model number off the plate, and go to https://www.nadaguides.com/ click on boats, then motors, and follow the choices. I only looked at 3, and they averaged $265-$300. Then remember, they're just like a p/u truck. Depending on condition, they're worth what somebody wants to pay for them.

NADA low balls everything, my mint condition 1998 Evinrude 8 goes for a whopping $80 :shock: Your 1993 40 HP, depending on condition I'd guess between $800 - $1200.

Average 1000 bucks. If its in great condition, Ictalurus hit in on the head at 1200.

Oil injected, right? My buddy has the exact same model. We put it up on CL just to test the waters last summer, and got a couple hits for it listed at 1000. And his is all faded and what not.

Ictalurus said:
NADA low balls everything, my mint condition 1998 Evinrude 8 goes for a whopping $80 :shock: Your 1993 40 HP, depending on condition I'd guess between $800 - $1200.

Ill give you $85, and Ill come get it. You wont even have to get off your couch and fire it up, ill take your word for it. And itll save you the trouble of making a Craigslist ad...
:LOL2:

Ok, what's the deal I've seen countless people on this site ask about a price of a 9.9 or 15hp and everyone acts like there a steal for 800 but you guys are saying a 40hp isn't worth more then those little motors? :|

Really the later the year of motor the less its worth. A reasonable price for a 40 at that year would be in the 1000-1200 range. You could get more for it but it will probibly take awhile. Then u also have to take into affect 4 stoles compared to 2 strokes and 4 strokes usually get more money because they are quieter but not all people like them. Like I said though it depends on the area. I've seem a few here listed art 1500 but are like 98 - 00

Ok, what's the deal I've seen countless people on this site ask about a price of a 9.9 or 15hp and everyone acts like there a steal for 800 but you guys are saying a 40hp isn't worth more then those little motors?

It's all about supply & demand. :lol:

THE GULF COAST OIL SPILL. I tried to buy a 40hp during the oil spill and every one was being used at the spill sites, no 25, 30 or 35hp either. I ended up driving a hundred miles west of Houston to get my 40hp and had to pay $1,500.00 for it and it was faded but in good condition otherwise and had to buy a Stainless Steel prop because he has an aluminum prop on it, fished in freshwater only.
If that motor was down here now on the Gulf Coast, price would be approx $1,400.00 to $1,600.00
So it depends on where the motor is.
Like they say in real estate, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

I know 4 strokes cost more but the motors I'm talking about are 80's-90's models 9.9hp-15hp 2 strokes and everyone on here acts like 700-900 is a good deal, I just don't see giving that much for a kicker.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
I know 4 strokes cost more but the motors I'm talking about are 80's-90's models 9.9hp-15hp 2 strokes and everyone on here acts like 700-900 is a good deal, I just don't see giving that much for a kicker.

Here in western PA 9.9-15 hp were all we could use due to hp restrictions. Now most of the lakes went to 20hp. Still a 87 and newer Johnson 9.9 will run around $1000. Those older motors would take a licken and keep on ticken. I put around 500+ hours on my kicker every year since I bought it in 1989. The only thing that it ever needed was a fuel pump, a prop, and plugs. Many of the 9.9 I've seen posted are costing more now than they did when they were new.

That 40 hp Tracker would run $1500- $2000 around here.

crazymanme2 said:
Ok, what's the deal I've seen countless people on this site ask about a price of a 9.9 or 15hp and everyone acts like there a steal for 800 but you guys are saying a 40hp isn't worth more then those little motors?

It's all about supply & demand. :lol:

Very true! Just consider all the guys here with absolutely kick *** boats, that top out at 5 mph! Importance of a motor really varies depending on where you fish primarily.

A 9.9 or 15 hp is real easy to take off your boat and thrown in the back of your pick up truck while dealing with rough back country roads,wouldnt want to even atempt to try it with a 20 hp,,,,so ease of handling is an important factor for a lot of fishermen,,,,Mike

I've got a 1994 Johnson 9.9 Long Shaft that has only been used as a kicker. I'm putting it on Craigslist next week for $950. I had it listed before and had a buyer in 3 days, but (not being very knowledgeable about motors) when we ran it with earmuffs for a while, some ugly brown oil started dripping out of the prop. The buyer and I both thought there was a problem with it. Later learned that it is normal unburned oil/gas exhausting, especially so because we ran it at idle for a few minutes.

So... now that we know there's nothing wrong with it, it's going back on the market for $950. Of course, a long shaft isn't as prevalent as the short shafts out there. This is in the Chicago area. Watching them on Craigslist, I see them from $700-$1200, older and newer, different brands/condition - nearly all are short shafts.

Latest posts