1961 14’ Alumacraft Mod V Intro/Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillagent

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum so I thought I’d introduce myself and my boat, and also ask a few questions. I’ve inherited my Grandfather’s 1961 14’ Alumacraft Mod V boat that he used to take me fishing in when I was a kid. So, I’m emotionally attached to it and I want to make modifications that I think he would be proud of. It’s very basic with three wooden benches and nothing else. The boat is in great shape with no leaks, except for the hole someone drilled in the bottom at the stern to get rid of the rainwater. Don’t ask.
I don’t have any measurements right now because I’m currently deployed and the boat is being stored upside down. So HH6 isn’t too keen on flipping it over and running a tape measure for me. My next duty station is about 45 miles away from a great Crappie and Walleye lake. For reasons I’m sure you’ll understand, I won’t go into where and when I’m going. But I want to get started now developing a plan so my son and I can work on it as a winter project. Right now the basic mods I want to make are a floor, casting deck at the bow and a short deck/storage at the stern. I’ve seen plenty of work going on here on the forum and I’ve got some great ideas that I’ll post later, but two things keep nagging at me. So here it goes.
The boat rides high at the bow. So I’m trying to figure out if I should build the front casting deck level with the top edge of the boat or should I angle it down to make up for the ride? I’m thinking of redistributing weight by placing the two batteries and homemade live well under the deck with my 13 yo son sitting at the front. Will that even it out enough to compensate for the motor, fuel, and my 230lbs at the rear? Just a couple of things to get me going. I look forward to reading more and hopefully I’ll be able to contribute my construction photos this winter. Thanks.