Easy-Off Oven Cleaner to remove paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo^

Reaction score
I've seen this discussed here from time to time but I don't think I've read where anyone has actually tried it. Well, today I proved that it works and works well. It took the original paint off a 1988 Grumman Scrambler with little or no effort except that I did use a pressure washer. I sprayed the Easy-Off on in full sun and let it work for about 15 minutes. The paint bubbled and peeled right off. I had begun the day using a DeWalt grinder with a paint/rust removal wheel but this was going way too slow and was quit a work-out so I decided to try the Easy-Off. I've used it many times to strip the finish off of gun stocks before refinishing so I had a few cans left-over in garage. The outside of the boat took about six cans but at $1.50 each from the Dollar Store, that's a lot cheaper than the sanding disks and will allow me to use a simple finishing sander with 80 or 100 grit paper to rough-up the bare metal before applying Steelflex which is a lot easier and cheaper than using a grinder. I still have about half of the bottom to strip and I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow.

We use easy off oven cleaner to clean the bathtub...Yup the bathtub (not the tiles).

Spray it on the soap grimed tub, let it sit for 30-45 minutes, easy scrub off. I was amazed.

It took a total of 10 1/2 cans of heavy duty Easy-Off to strip the entire inside and outside of the 1446 Grumman down to bare metal. I bought most of the Easy-Off at Dollar General for $1.50 a can.

Before applying Easy-Off.

BeforeEasy-Off.jpg

The Easy-Off doing it's thing.

DuringEasy-Off.jpg

About 10 minutes later I washed away the paint using a pressure washer.

AfterEasy-Off.jpg

Afterwards, make sure you wash the surface with a mild detergent and rinse thoroughly. I recommend wearing gloves and a mask, those lye fumes can be rough and if you have a small cut on your finger that Easy-Off will find it.

I do not believe that the lemon scented or no-fume Easy-Off would work in this application. At least I know they won't strip the finish off a rifle stock so I must assume it wouldn't work on paint either. Temperature of the metal is a major contributing factor. Today, it was in the mid-80's and the Easy-Off bubbled-up nicely working it's magic in about 10-15 minutes with no scrubbing required. As it was getting later in the day yesterday and temps. dropped to into the lower 70's the process slowed down quite a bit.

You can buy air craft stripper, it's made to take paint of of alumnium wothout etching it or anything like that, oven cleaner eats at the aluminuim. It comes in a aerosal can or you can buy it in quart or gallon brush on cans. Stuff works great.

Latest posts