Dented my hull in 2 places yesteday!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedjj

Reaction score
Well apparently my boat is not as tough as I thought it was. Its just a Riveted AlumaCraft 1542 but I thought it would be able to take a bigger hit without damage.

I was heading up the creek (no pun intended) yesterday and after some serious rain on Wednesday there were a few more logs in different places than I was used to. I had no trouble most of the way..BUT, one log in particular was all the way across the creek. and all but 3 inches submerged. I just was idling along when I saw it. Gave her a little throttle to make it over. My friend was up front spotting for me and we did get a little bump but nothing crazy. I hit the log slid up and over it, the motor kicked up like it always does, and off we went without any trouble. Same thing happened on the way back down stream.

The boat handled fine and everything so I am not worried about it But I have two pretty significant (I think so any way) dents on the right side along the weld where the bottom and side meet towards the front right where it starts to curve up at the bow. No cracks or anything but its the first dents I have on her and I am disappointed.

I bought an aluminum boat specifically for these type of conditions and I knew it would happen. I'm positive based on how easy these occurred they will not be the last dents either, but it still sucks. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

I was really surprised to see the dents, I really didn't hit that hard. I guess submerged rotten logs are harder than I thought? My next boat will be an Alweld, SeaArk, Redneck AB, or something similar. Definately welded and will without a doubt have a jet motor.

Welded or not, hull thickness is what is going to let you jump logs without taking on dents.

Riveted boats tend to be a little thinner but there are plenty of thin welded boats out there too.

Yea I guess welded or not it wouldn't have mattered seing as how it dented on a weld. LOL

The AlumaCraft Riveted boats are .070 The welded ones are .102
Lowe Riveteds are .050 and their welded boats are .100 and .110
g3 welded are .100

SeaArk uses .100 and .125

Alweld uses .100

Tracker riveted is .063 and grizzley welded is .100

As far as Riveted jon boats go I got the thickest alum hull out there. I guess I am going to have to just be more carefull. Either that or be the only guy with UHMW on a boat in Fl.

I know there are companies that build boats out of 1/4" Alum but they are super expensive and custom built. Im not going to go that far.

next time before you hit the log just ease up onto it then when you stop give it the gas and go over it dont hit it while moving

Latest posts