Aluminized Bondo?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgpemt

Reaction score
so I stripped my old boat this weekend and pulled out the wood from the transom, (HOLY REFURB PROJECT is my build link). What I have left is swiss cheeze!
The transom has so many little holes in it from previous owners, adding transducers, and speedometers, and other gadgets...

I pulled the aerator out of the hull, I am not a tournament fisherman and if I ever need a live well, I'll make it based on what I saw in one of the super threads here!

My question is this....has anyone used this stuff? How does it hold up? I have a lot of work to do during my rebuild and filling in holes in number one on my list!
I am going to steelflex the entire hull below the water line to solve the leaky rivet issues, and that will cover a bunch of the holes, but I want to use it as a filler for the big stuff.

Any ideas? Thanks!

B

I was afraid I was going to hear that LOL! I do have a fella up the street who is a master welder and a fellow Firefighter/EMT...Maybe I can swing a deal...thanks!!!

I sort of have the same condition (Swiss cheese transom) but it's the result of corrosion. I am replacing the old wooden part of the transom on the inside with two layers of 3/4" exterior ply bonded together with construction cement and then sealed with epoxy. On the Swiss cheese aluminum structure, I'm going to use Marine-Tex to seal the holes and then add a single layer of 3/4" ply cut to match the profile of the transom to the outside of the boat which will basically sandwich the aluminum structure between sealed plywood. I will install the outer piece with 3M 4200 to ensure a watertight seal, bolt through the entire structure and then steelflex over everything when I do the outside of the boat.

I can't take the credit for this idea. I had taken the boat to a welding/fab shop to get an estimate on welding some patches over the holes or replacing the entire aluminum structure and the engineer I spoke with recommended this fix. He said that he used to live in Florida and that the guys down there do this sort of thing all the time but that he would be more than happy to take my money for the expensive weld/rebuild if that's what I really wanted to do.

Thanks all! I had thought about that additional sheet of plywood, and I still have a piece kicking around the cellar from my transom rebuild over the weekend. I have to stop at the auto supply store and get my 5200 tomorrow to seal the bolts I installed as a rough fit. I am steelflexing the hull as well and this may be the route to go.

thanks!

Latest posts