Need Help ASAP!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellio5

Reaction score
It's not do or die but I'm looking for some advise before I screw something up. I picked up some hydrofoils from Walmart they were $25.00 which isn't to bad. Before I do any drilling or modifying I have some questions...

1. There is a little metal thing on my cavitation plate held on with two screws to me it looks like a balancer or a magnet I'm not sure what it is and why it's there it's on the throttle side of the motor can I take this off or will I screw something up.

2. While drilling into the cavatation plate how likely is it to crack on me. That would be a bad thing.

Any input would really help.

it is most likely an anode you need to keep it on the motor.
if you are careful it shouldn't crack mine didnt when i installed one

If it looks like a tiny towing ball....its for a steering linkage. Whoever had your motor before you probably used it as a kicker. If not its probably an anode....if you don't fish saltwater you could proba ly do without if its on the cavitation plate.

Here's some pics. If it's an anoid for salt water I don't need it no salt water here in Minnesota.
I started it for the first time today on the muffs started right up. I'm happy about that.

cavatationbb002.jpg

cavatationbb001.jpg

After looking on google I'm pretty sure it's an anode....I don't think I need it. I should add my boat is only in the water while I'm fishing then it goes back on the trailer I think the longest it's been in the water is 12 hours. Usually my fishing outings are shorter than that. Or if I do need to have it maybe I could relocate it or get another one for another spot on the motor.

I put the hydrofoil back in the box and am returning it....I've been looking at it for the last 45 minutes and can't bring myself to drill holes in my motor. I had a 10HP on last year and with just me in the boat the bow was way up high but with two people it handled nicely...I wonder if it will be worse with more HP and newer motor...both engines come in at 75lbs so the weight is the same actually slightly less because I went to a plastic gas tank vs the steel one for the old Johnson. I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

jellio5 said:
I put the hydrofoil back in the box and am returning it....

Good choice. Those things are generally less beneficial than you might think, and the same problem can be fixed in a multitude of other ways.

As far as the anode in fresh water, leave it. Electrolysis can occur in freshwater, just due to stray current from shore power at marinas, or even from the engines own electrical system.

Just my opinion..keep the anode...Anodes were put on your motor for a good reason. They have a valid function.

Anodes are made of different materials for FW and SW. You probably have a FW one unless you bought your boat from a SW dealer.

If you have a bow rising problem..try a number of things to cure it.

Move some weight forward. Try a five gallon bucket half filled with water...tied down securely... near the front of your boat to see what will happen. A gallon of water weighs about 7 + lbs. Your battery weighs 60 to 80 lbs or so.

Try adjusting the motor's trim/tilt. If you do not have adjustable tilt/trim...see if you can use one or more holes in the mounting to bring the prop closer to the boat. The more "tucked in" your motor is, the less your bow will rise. Don't overdo it, as a bow plowing along in the water will kill your speed.

If none of those things work, then consider adding Smart Tabs or any other tab system. You will have to drill holes in the transom of your boat..so your reservations about drilling into your cav plate may return.

Can't help that. I felt the same way when I first drilled holes in my first boat. We all do.

Let us know if anything helps. regards, Rich

Latest posts