Help with final decisions on what to buy.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
I found a weldbilt dealer about 1.5-2 hours away from me. I'm going to take the plunge and order one this week.

I've researched a lot of stuff on here about weldbilt boats and jon boats in general. Here are my thoughts on whats going to guide me in my order.

Everyone says get the biggest you can afford. OK I'm thinking 1860 with 28" sides and 20" transom. Would a 2060 make much difference? I could squeeze one of those out of my budget maybe.

Mod-v or flat front. still up in the air. 85-90 percent of the use will be in a mile long strip mine lake with a trolling motor. Big waves aren't a problem on the lake. But the other 10 - 15 percent will be on the mississippi river or the Illinois river.

One of my fishing buddies says flat front so we have more room up there when setting jugs etc. Another buddy that fishes on the mississippi says mod. v for the just in case and resale. Input?

Split seat pods in the back with livewell on one side and storage on the other side.

Floor with sidewalls for easy cleaning.

An 84" inch rod/gun box on the starboard side. Been considering on both sides. Too much? input?

three pedestal bases front middle and back.

And another storage box midways depending on if I get two rod boxes.

Does this sound like a good setup to you guys? opinions or input?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Sam

18->20 wouldnt matter! Just get the widest you can afford! I bought a 1648 from backwoods landing in January! HIGHLY recommend them. Mod v for suer! Just wait till you see how much room is up on that front deck....you don't want the flat just for room, trust me!

Jeff

parkerdog said:
I found a weldbilt dealer about 1.5-2 hours away from me. I'm going to take the plunge and order one this week.

I've researched a lot of stuff on here about weldbilt boats and jon boats in general. Here are my thoughts on whats going to guide me in my order.

Everyone says get the biggest you can afford. OK I'm thinking 1860 with 28" sides and 20" transom. Would a 2060 make much difference? I could squeeze one of those out of my budget maybe.

I've always wanted a 20, but I don't think the difference between the 18 and the 20 would be worth stretching the budget over - shoot, I'm happy to even have a 1648!! :)

Mod-v or flat front. still up in the air. 85-90 percent of the use will be in a mile long strip mine lake with a trolling motor. Big waves aren't a problem on the lake. But the other 10 - 15 percent will be on the mississippi river or the Illinois river.

One of my fishing buddies says flat front so we have more room up there when setting jugs etc. Another buddy that fishes on the mississippi says mod. v for the just in case and resale. Input?

Definitely mod v. I've never measured one out, but it sure looks like the mod v's have more room up front that the flat front. Could just be me though. :?

Split seat pods in the back with livewell on one side and storage on the other side.

Floor with sidewalls for easy cleaning.

An 84" inch rod/gun box on the starboard side. Been considering on both sides. Too much? input
three pedestal bases front middle and back.

And another storage box midways depending on if I get two rod boxes.

Does this sound like a good setup to you guys? opinions or input?

Seems to me everyone has slightly different ideas on what setup they like. I say whatever you think your are going to like best - and can afford - go with it and enjoy it. And - if you ever change your mind - you have plenty of examples to learn from when you start your own mod!!!! :LOL2:

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Sam

Make sure you post pictures when you get her!!

This is what I came up with at the dealer today. 20' length 60" floor and the stuff I have in that paint drawing. Unfortunately with the tornados around the factory down there they were closed because of no electricity. I hope everything turns out alright for the people down there.

I still need to finalize the I guess depth on the rod box. I'd like it as wide as the pods in the back, kind of like a bench I suppose.

And I'm unsure if there will be enough room to install a console down the road later depending on the motor I put on it. But they were closed so couldn't ask questions.

Still time to change around if anyone sees complications or must haves! (the lady at the dealership has no idea what she took on today) lol

Cant wait to see this! That's one big boat! But...Why not just go with a 2072 while your at it.

Tiller or console? Im guessing if you do a console it will be a side console and you can sit on the right side livewell?

Speaking of livewells. You must be a much better fisherman than I am to need 3 of them!

Very cool design. Looks like maybe a big mud buddy with a side console could be in order on that rig?
https://www.mudbuddy.com/HD%206000.htm

Cant wait to see this! That's one big boat! But...Why not just go with a 2072 while your at it

Over budget now! I see ramen noodles in my future for the next two or three months! lol

Tiller or console? Im guessing if you do a console it will be a side console and you can sit on the right side livewell?

Neither, remote control trolling motor for this year. Yes, sit on the right side storage for now and when I decide center console or side I'll have the options or just tiller. depends on what motor I find probably next year.

Speaking of livewells. You must be a much better fisherman than I am to need 3 of them!

Naaa not even really a good fisherman but I figured one for bait and one for fish. the other was just welded up as a livewell so it would be water tight. I'm thinking either dry storage or cooler.

parkerdog said:
Still time to change around if anyone sees complications or must haves! (the lady at the dealership has no idea what she took on today) lol

Yup, definately still time to make changes! lol Made some changes and the price went up quite a bit when we got more accurate pricing when the factory was open today.

The design was ending up looking a lot like a tracker boat so I cancelled the weldbilt and went local to me and bought a 1860 tracker jon that was on the lot. (ended up being $1000 less than the weldbilt because it was a new 2010)

At least I'll be making some modifications myself now. livewell etc..