anchor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00 mod

Reaction score
Not fishing in current, just wind, what lb anchor do you use for your boat and what size is your boat.

Mine is a 1648 but I have never anchored with it, and wanted to know what others use before I go and buy an anchor or 2

Jeff

I have a 1652 that I used to use a 10 lb mushroom anchor on until I lost it, currently using a light weight blade type, but do not remember the size. I have never really had an issue with either anchor holding, but the river I mainly fish here has a pretty good silt bottom.

I fish a 16' Princecraft utility boat mostly in rivers. I had a mushroom anchor that did not hold well for me, so I switched to the same size river anchor and have had success. I mention that only because weight may not be the only thing to consider.

Charlie

I WONT be using my boat on a river, just a oxbow lake, with sandy, mud bottom. Just trying to get the lightest anchor I can get away with.

Jeff

For sandy/muddy bottoms, you would want a mud claw anchor. It lays flat on the bottom and as you are pulled by wind/currrent it digs in. Pulling it up is easy as long as it is not snagged, just power back over the top of it and yank her up. As far as weight, I'd use an 8-10 pounder.

The other thing to consider is the line length. If your anchor line is too short, you will not get good purchase, you want the line to lay out and allow the anchor to dig into the bottom as designed. I think it is 4 feet of line for each foot of water...

Hope that helps!

charliep said:
I fish a 16' Princecraft utility boat mostly in rivers. I had a mushroom anchor that did not hold well for me, so I switched to the same size river anchor and have had success. I mention that only because weight may not be the only thing to consider.

Charlie

For the amount of silt we have here, I think you could about use a kitchen spoon and get it to hold. lol

I have an 8lb mushroom anchor on my 1440. Does well most of the time except in very windy conditions. I considered using the river style anchor, but it takes up a bit more space.

Latest posts