Steering cable and mounts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albanyco

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just bought a starcraft boat and I am trying to clean it up. The guy who owned it before me rigged up his own console and steering....with bungee cords, wood, and hose clamps. Needless to say, I would like to replace it with something much more solid and safe. The biggest issue I have is what to mount the steering cable to on the outboard end. Does anyone make a clamp that I can bolt to the transom to hold the cable? Is there a universal clamp that is made? I tried searching google and was able to find one for 65 bucks....seems a little steep to me for just a clamp. Also, how can I tell if the steering I have is a teleflex compatible system? The steering wheel says glasstron on it and I had the cable off the steering wheel part to try and lube it. It screws on and the cable has a spiral winding around it where it goes into the steering wheel part. I think I will need a new cable.

I assume this is what your talking about

https://www.boatbandit.com/teleflex--steering-cable-clamp-block-1546.aspx
if so that is about the average price unfortunatly I couldn't find any cheaper. These are designed for the rack steering with a rigid outboard end. If you have a rotary steering set up you may also need one of these to do the job correct

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1259&bih=621&q=boat+steering+support+tube&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16491837530486128758&sa=X&ei=XXm3Tei0Ksb00gGelLX6Dw&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAw

How do I know if it is rotary steering? I don't know too much about boat steering I hate to admit.

I was going to post a question similar to this one. In my 89 Pro Craft I have installed the teleflex rotary system, I attatched it to the front of the outboard with a universal joint arrangement.

Now I have seen that there are systems that pass through the tilt tube...and now I am curious. Do i need that system? The boat handles fine, no feedback, no strain steering, but I can see how that could make the boat "look" cleaner with the new cable routing.

Any thoughts?

Bob

In order to hook up a new cable you must have the "cable housing tube" on your motor from the factory that looks like the pics below and the attachment bracket on your motor as well. The cable housing tube is the long housing the cable is going into from the left side.

Attachments

• steering cable tube.jpg
    steering cable tube.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 782
  • steering cable tube2.jpg
    steering cable tube2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 782
  • steering cable tube3.jpg
    steering cable tube3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 782
I think it is rotary steering....at least the helm end of the cable looks like a rotary steering cable....Ever feel like you'll never get out on the water? :roll: