Removing Pop Rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
I'll be removing the aluminum side panels on my Bass Tracker 1542 tonight, which are pop riveted on by a couple dozen rivets on each side. I've thought about drilling them out, grinding them off, or chiseling them off.

Any advice?

Pop rivets drilled out easy on mine. The head has a nice indentation to center the bit on.

I would choose to drill them out myself. Chiseling or grinding may weaken the aluminum around the hole too much. It may also scratch it to where you can not get a good seal around the next rivet you install in the hole.

What size bit should I use in relation to the size of the rivet? Do I use one that is about the same size as the little hole in the middle of the rivet head? Or do I go with a bigger one that will be about the same size as the hole through the aluminum?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've never done it before.

Use a slightly larger bit than the small hole in the middle. Most pop rivets are 1/8 or 3/16 in diameter. The middle hole is smaller, just big enough for the pin. You only need to use a bit that is big enough to get the flange off, the rest can usually be pushed through the hole. You don't want to use a larger bit, or you may enlarge the hole too much, or wallow it out to where it won't hold the next rivet very well.

Skidz

Skidz said:
Use a slightly larger bit than the small hole in the middle. Most pop rivets are 1/8 or 3/16 in diameter. The middle hole is smaller, just big enough for the pin. You only need to use a bit that is big enough to get the flange off, the rest can usually be pushed through the hole. You don't want to use a larger bit, or you may enlarge the hole too much, or wallow it out to where it won't hold the next rivet very well.

Skidz

Good advice. Also, if the bit is too small you will get a bunch of metal rings (from each rivet) around the bit that are almost impossible to remove. That happened to me.

BaitCaster said:
Skidz said:

Skidz

Good advice. Also, if the bit is too small you will get a bunch of metal rings (from each rivet) around the bit that are almost impossible to remove. That happened to me.
You use a pair of pliers to remove the rings from the drill bit. This is hard to describe but you put the bit in the center area of the jaws turn on the drill and pull the bit through the closed jaws of the pliers.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You use a pair of pliers to remove the rings from the drill bit. This is hard to describe but you put the bit in the center area of the jaws turn on the drill and pull the bit through the closed jaws of the pliers.

Yep and run the drill in reverse

Well, the drilling method didn't work too well. The bit would go in just a tad then the whole rivet would just spin like crazy.

I ended up just using a small prybar .... couple smacks with a hammer and the heads popped off. It didn't seem to damage the holes or anything - worked pretty well.

Latest posts