Steering connector rod for my Old Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgpemt

Reaction score
So now that I finally full comprehend the tilt tube steering concept, I am a fan.

In the midst of my tear down, the molly-hocked cable transom mount sloppy yuckyness truly bothered me. My problem now is that I cannot find one of the connector rods.

The motor is a 1974 70 HP, and the transom mount gadget connects to the front of the motor with a universal type joint that was fabricated.

I am not a super genius, but I think that I can fabricate one of those rods...how much torque could there be? I have never had problems steering the way the rig is now, but I want to convert it for cosmetic reasons, even if I have to buy a longer cable to accomplish that.

I am going to try simply bending some threaded rod, double nut the end on the teleflex cable and then secure it to the bracket...

Any thoughts?

Any boat dealer repair center can order one or maybe has a used one. My guess it is some grade of Stainless Steel.

Attachments

• steering cable tube.jpg
    steering cable tube.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 664
  • steering cable tube2.jpg
    steering cable tube2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 664
  • steering cable tube3.jpg
    steering cable tube3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 664
Thanks again Rusty! I have called the local johnson reps and they say that for my year/make/model, the part is obsolete...I'm going to try the threaded rod just for concept verification, then, I'll head up to the local welder/fabricator, who is also a firefighter/emt and have him make me one from steel that I will paint after.

It's an idea...i'm hanging on to high hopes :LOL2:

Bob

rgpemt said:
Thanks again Rusty! I have called the local johnson reps and they say that for my year/make/model, the part is obsolete...I'm going to try the threaded rod just for concept verification, then, I'll head up to the local welder/fabricator, who is also a firefighter/emt and have him make me one from steel that I will paint after.

It's an idea...i'm hanging on to high hopes :LOL2:

Bob

Do you have the steering tube on your motor and going to use it?
If so, DO NOT PAINT THE NEW PART YOU ARE HAVING MADE, BECAUSE IT GOES INTO THE STEERING TUBE, OK, AND WILL BE DIFFICULT TO TURN BECAUSE OF THE PAINT. Also, if it's going into the tube, you need to keep it oiled if it's not going into the tube, then paint it.

Roger that...again, thank you! I have so much going on with work and the boat project....thanks for pointing out the little things like that

Latest posts