cann't wait to redo boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingbear

Reaction score
I am new to the site. I have had a 14' jon for 6 years. I have now found the site to help me with my "few" Questions. I am excited and cann't wait to be able to talk to the people that KNOW. How do you Paint to stop a few rivets that leak? That is jus a starter.

fishingbear said:
Rivet repair I am not sure I know what re bucking is. Is this taking out the old and replacing them?

Bucking is the term used with solid rivets. Essentially you use a solid object (piece of steel or maul) and hold it against one side of the rivet while you hammer the other side of the rivet.

In your case, have someone hold a maul against one of the leaky rivets on the outside of your boat while you hammer the other side of the rivet. If they're aluminum then it may only take a few good strikes.

Additionally, if you happen to own an air hammer / chisel with a quick change chuck, you can buy a brazier rivet bit to use on the concave side of the rivet while the maul is used to back (or buck) the other side of the rivet.

Latest posts