Help with seat mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaphikap

Reaction score
New to boating and I want to mount two folding seats on the rear bench of my Alumacraft mv 1448. I am planning on using the Swivl-Eze snap lock seat mount. I have not clue how to secure the mounting plate. There is no underneath access to the bench and I don't believe there is any wood underneath the surface of the bench to secure the mounting screws to. Any ideas on how to securely fasten the mounting plate to my bench? Thank you in advance.

If it was mine and I didn't want to cut a hole in the front of the seat, I'd take it to a shop and have them weld it on. That would only work if you bought the aluminum base though.

Or you could cut a hole in the front of seat to get in there and bolt it down or reinforce underneath it. Then cover the hole with a hatch and you would have some storage. But that means you would have to possibly remove some foam which bothers some people.

I drilled a pilot hole and used a 1/4" "lag screw". It has threads on it and a hex head. I used a socket and ratchet to get going then used a drill with a shank in the same size socket to finish the job. Used lock washers also. Has worked out great for me in a lot of tinny boats. Normally with 6 screws you don't have any problems.

I tried to go that route with mine but couldn't figure anything out without a lot of work so I went with the clamp on deals took about 3 minutes to install and 3 minutes to adjust/remove if needed.

The clamps were my first choice but the bench design made it nearly impossible to secure properly. The bench is very wide at almost 19" so with the sliding clamps extended out almost the entire way the nuts and wing nuts are tucked in way underneath the seat when positioned. I tried multiple wrenches, pliers, and sockets with no luck at being able to reach the hardware to where I could tighten it properly.

Not real comfortable putting cutting any large holes at this point. Will consider trying the threaded lag screws with lock washers.

eaphikap said:
The clamps were my first choice but the bench design made it nearly impossible to secure properly. The bench is very wide at almost 19" so with the sliding clamps extended out almost the entire way the nuts and wing nuts are tucked in way underneath the seat when positioned. I tried multiple wrenches, pliers, and sockets with no luck at being able to reach the hardware to where I could tighten it properly.

Not real comfortable putting cutting any large holes at this point. Will consider trying the threaded lag screws with lock washers.

I had an uncle that mounted a seat base to a 2 x 12 the length of the bench seat then mounted that on top of the bench so it gave him more and wider attaching points. Wasn't real good for removing quickly if you needed more room though.

Latest posts