gas tank question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOB350RX

Reaction score
hey guys got a lil question for ya, i want to put my fuel tank in the front of my boat but it will put it about 11-12' from the motor, 78 9.9 evinrude, will that work ok? not sure if the pump will be strong enough for this any thoughts? thanks

It should work just fine. And, contrary to popular belief, do not run a larger fuel line when doing so.

The stock mechanical fuel pump should be able to siphon the fuel from the tank fairly easily. If you normally have a fuel line that is ¼” diameter and 6’ long, the pump has to siphon about 3.53 cubic inches of fuel at a time. Adding another six feet of fuel hose is asking the fuel pump to siphon 7.05 cubic inches of fuel. Now, if you step up to a 3/8” fuel line on a 12’ run, it would then have to siphon 15.90 cubic inches of fuel at any given moment. It doesn’t sound like much but by adding double the length of line and increasing it by 1.5 the original diameter, you’re asking the pump to siphon 4.5 times more fuel.

That is my math lesson for today!

i knew i was asking a bunch more of the fuel pump but thanks for the lesson..lol, interesting ill try it and see what happens, hope i can get some pics on here of my boat soon.

this may sound dumb but where can you get a 14' length of fuel tubing at? everywhere i have looked looks at me like i am crazy when i have called and asked. i get the "for god sakes it a jon boat, put the tanki in the back" needless to say this boat shop wont be getting any of my business.

lovedr79 said:
this may sound dumb but where can you get a 14' length of fuel tubing at? everywhere i have looked looks at me like i am crazy when i have called and asked. i get the "for god sakes it a jon boat, put the tanki in the back" needless to say this boat shop wont be getting any of my business.

Try an auto parts store. Just ask for it and they will sell it to you.

Try an auto parts store. Just ask for it and they will sell it to you.[/quote]

+1 PARTS STORE USUALY SELL IT BY THE FOOT, OR IF YOU HAVE A TRACTOR SUPPLY OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF FARM SUPPLY STORE WILL DO THE SAME, I HAVE A MARINE SHOP AROND THE CORNER FROM ME AND OTHER THAN ORDERING PARTS FOR MY OUTBOARD THEY ARE WORTHLESS!!

I got 25' of 3/8" automotive fuel line on ebay cheaper than 15' would have cost locally.