new deck supports

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingbear

Reaction score
I am getting ready to add new decking to my 15' jon boat. I have seen two supports. One using 1'x1's an the other using 1' alum. angle iron. It looks like the alum. will be more $s but may take less time and be better in salt water? Any ideas will be helpful. Need support.

I used wood 2x2 with the galvanized L brackets and stainless (and a few brass) screws. I coated them with 3 coats of spar urethane and then once the framework was assembled I coated it again. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299&hilit=swamp+sled&start=25

For me and my limited craftsmanship ability the wood was just easier and cheaper. It works great so far and can hold a 260 lb man no problem. I don't worry about the water or even saltwater affecting it. Because I did it myself I know its sealed up right. Probably overkill!

With all that said...my next one will be aluminum.

I would not recommend the galvanized brackets if you are going to be in salt water at all. I regularly see beach houses here where the galvanized joist straps are completely corroded away.

Strongly recommend the Aluminum angle. By the time you factor in the cost of sealant, the cost isn't that much more. Less weight and frankly very easy to use. You can get by with just a hack saw, drill and hand rivet gun.
I preferred using T6061 Aluminum for the rounded edges and greater strength in the angle. You probably need to pick this up at a metals store like Metals Supermarket or something similar, rather than just at at a home depot.

I highly recommend aluminum angle or tubing if you can find it. I picked up almost all of my metal at a scrapyard for dirt cheap.

Hey I'm new to the Tinboats. I just got 16' flatbottom Jon 6' wide and I'm looking to deck the front as well. First one I did with wood and it just seemed way to heavy for me because it wouldnt plane right in the water but it was also a Vhull jon (if that makes a difference or not). But this one I'm looking to do aluminum. What thickness aluminum metal did you use. no one worries about this stuff bending due to weight? I seen it done on here a few times I just not sure where or how they get there strength out of it because the material they use angle or square dont seem big at all. Some pictures it's hard to see where they rivet it to the boat so I'm not exactally sure how people who use aluminum mount it.

any help would be appreciated.

I screwed or riveted the supports using L brackets, that I cut from aluminum angle, to the ribs in the floor. It was pretty easy. All of my aluminum was 1/8" thick. The tubing I used was 1"x2"x1/8" and the angle was 2"x 1/8". I have no worries of the metal flexing as I braced it well. Check out my build and let me know if you have any other questions.

Yea I checked out your build and it looks really good. I see how you did it and you took good pictures and thats how I'm going to do it except I think I'm going to take a shot at brazing the aluminum. I've seen this done and its extreemly strong. But I do have another question. My boat is 16' long and 6' wide and this thing seems really heavy. I have a 30 hp yamaha 2 stroke long shaft that was on my previous build. Is this thing going to be big enough to push this boat around with the mod's that I do or am I going to have to get a bigger motor? What do other's with a 16' 'wide' flat bottom boat run on the back of there's? Appreciate the input I'll be sure to post my build on here so you can see what I do. Oh and I just got this boat and when we did the bill of sale me and the guy couldnt find a serial number or hull number anywhere. Did some older jon boats not come with these numbers? and what if there missing what do I do file for a home made boat? I know this thing isnt home made and Its been registered before I just can find a vin number on the boat anywhere and I dont know who even makes it. Any help would be appreciated so I can get it registered.

Just a little input to the topic...but I also used 1" aluminum angle and 1" square tube. I am actually in the middle of building the supports for the decking with it. I wished I would have picked up more angle since it is the easier of the two to work with. I also priced the aluminum at a few places like a Lowe's or Home Depot and they are so expensive it's not even funny. I did some research and found a place about an hour from where I live that sold the aluminum by the pound rather than by the piece. The place was set up like a scrap yard where you had to search through racks of different styles of aluminum stock but I saved a ton of money for a little extra work.

robert.connell said:
Yea I checked out your build and it looks really good. I see how you did it and you took good pictures and thats how I'm going to do it except I think I'm going to take a shot at brazing the aluminum. I've seen this done and its extreemly strong. But I do have another question. My boat is 16' long and 6' wide and this thing seems really heavy. I have a 30 hp yamaha 2 stroke long shaft that was on my previous build. Is this thing going to be big enough to push this boat around with the mod's that I do or am I going to have to get a bigger motor? What do other's with a 16' 'wide' flat bottom boat run on the back of there's? Appreciate the input I'll be sure to post my build on here so you can see what I do. Oh and I just got this boat and when we did the bill of sale me and the guy couldnt find a serial number or hull number anywhere. Did some older jon boats not come with these numbers? and what if there missing what do I do file for a home made boat? I know this thing isnt home made and Its been registered before I just can find a vin number on the boat anywhere and I dont know who even makes it. Any help would be appreciated so I can get it registered.

That 30 should push it fine. I only have a 9.9 on mine and it pushes it well.

Latest posts