help with my merc 110

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamrozy

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a problem. i got a merc 110 9.8 from a friend of mine it had been sittin for a while so i changed the lower end oil and the plugs. i was checking the plug wires to see how they looked and noticed that the 2 wires that are just above the plug wires that run up under the pull cord are coroded real bad the motor runs pretty good but those wires arent gonna last very long. my question is can i replace just those wires or are they part of the coil or somthing. i havent taken it apart yet but i didnt know if they were just jumper wires or somthing. HOPEFULLY ANYWAY [-o< . ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS.

They can be replaced they have eyes on both ends, I have a 7.5 and they are pretty similar motors. I bought eyes and soldered them on then used heat shrink to seal the ends. Just take your time and pay attention to where each wire goes.

jamrozy said:
cool thats a big relief. thanks alot for the info.

No problem if you need any more help just ask I have to go back into mind to do the kill switch wires so I could take some pictures if needed.

yea that would be awsome. i wrench on my harleys and my musclecar but ive never worked on an outboard so its all new to me. also how can i tell if the motor is pumping water right it has a little stream of water like a squirt gun stream that comes out the side but i had it out today for a little bit and it was squirting then it didnt look like it was squirting quite as well as it was the other day.how much water is supposed to come out?

When I get ready to replace that wire ill snap some pictures. Maybe someone can help us both with the cooling stream mine is kinda iffy as well, how hot should the water be coming out of it. On mine its gets so hot you almost can't put your hand under it.

I kinda figured, I think the seal that seals around the tubing that runs up to the powerhead is leaking I am going to replace it and see if I can get some better flow.

im gonna try to run mine in a tub tomorrow and see how hot it is. and see if its pumping. do you know how much water should spray out?

Latest posts