I am sinking my drain plug is leaking!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintcreek

Reaction score
Finally got my latest project out on the water today it is a 16'x48' LoweLine Hustler. I had several issues to work out, but the one right now I am trying to figure out how I want to fix it is the it was leaking at the drain plug and I had it as tight as I could get it. When I got it back on the trailer and checked the drain hole, it was very rough had big ridges that the drain plug was not sealing. I am thinking about using JB Weld to try to fill the ridges and then see if I can sand it out nice and round again, has anyone ever had this type of issue and how did you fix it.

Thanks,
Flintcreek...

I would sand it smooth provided it wouldn't make the hole too big. I think I would try sandpaper on a dowel. You might even be able to chuck it in a drill.

You think I might try sanding the drain hold before I put any JB Weld in it? This might work if the aluminum is not too thin. The hole is very tight and hard to get a drain plug in. The drain hole is actually smaller on the outside than on the inside the way it is welded in, so I will have to do all the sanding from the inside so no chance of using a drill..or is there a way...Thanks Flatsdaddy, I believe I can use a screw from the outside screwed into a dowel and sand away. Going to a Mustang and Ford show tomorrow so it may be late tomorrow before I get to try the fix out. I believe I have the right size dowel.

Flintcreek

flintcreek said:
has anyone ever had this type of issue and how did you fix it

Well, I have this problem in my boat - I've literally tried everything I can think of ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I've "fixed" it by carrying a red cup, about 16 oz with me and bailing out the area around the transom about every hour or two. Good luck!

i have a problem with mine too. someone had dropped someting on the tube and its dented about halfway and hard to get sealed. very frustrating when the only leak is the drain!

I would fill the ridges first with JB weld, and then sand it smooth. You don't want to make it bigger....only a smoother fit.

With out a pic I am having a hard time telling exactly what your talking about.

But, If it were my boat I would us some fiberglass to resolve the problem. But since most do not have those products around or the knowledge to use it. I do not see why you could not FILL the tube with something like JB weld and then drill it to the proper size. You can use a hole saw or a paddle bit to do this. Then you would have the proper size that the drain plug would fit into.

Where can I find a expanding arbor that small? The aluminum is probably small enough that a slight adjustment with a expanding arbor would probably fix it. It is really hard to get the drain plug fully inserted right now due to the dents.

Flintcreek

Maybe a wheel cylinder hone? BUT, be very slow and methodical. This might work ONLY if there multiple ridges. If there is only one ridge, you stand the chance of gouging on one side of the current ridge or the other. And with it being a "soft" metal, it wont't take much reeming.

Maybe you should post a pic. Sounds more complicated than I would have thought. I was imagining what I woudl do to mine, but it's pretty easy to access.

I can't find one small enough right now but it's like this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/small-tail-pipe-expander-37352.html

The plug on my boat is .932".

think i got mine fixed! I used some different size sockets and tapped them into the tube with a hammer. 1/2" drive extention is almost big enough to straiten it out but then i found a 1/2" drive deepwell imact socket that fit perfect. still not perfectly round but the plug seats into the tube all the way and makes good seal. before it stuck out abuut 1/8".

Thanks Malaki, I am going to give the socket a try this afternoon. I will post back some time next week when I ge to try it out again. Good job on getting yours fixed. I was looking at dowel rods, but I have alot more sockets.

Flintcreek

Latest posts