Extenstion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joehussey

Reaction score
I want to extend the sides and the front of my 14 ft flat bottom. The reason I want to do this is because I live on a rather large lake and people don't seem to understand that they just about sink my narrow little boat when they pass. Also if anybuddy out there has a small outboard for next to free. That's 5 to 25 hp let me know

IMO it sounds like you need a bigger boat. Maybe even a V-hull. There's only so much modification you can do to a boat. Extending the front and sides seems like ALOT of work...

Seriously though if your risking getting capsized everytime you go out in your boat I would just get a bigger one. It's not worth the hastle or the lack of safety to be out there in an unsafe boat. I've had airboats flip my canoe several times and flipped a layout boat hunting last winter and almost froze to death. It's not fun and shouldn't be taken lightly...

These guys are right. I had a 1236 and had the same issues you are talking about. Many (most) boaters are responsible on the water. It only takes one though to send all your gear to the bottom. Smaller boats probably need to stick to smaller waters. My favorite lake is only about 160 acres. The access is very shallow with a pretty flat ramp. Even though the access keeps the big boats off the water, there are a few residents that have big boats. The lake is just big enough for those few big honkin' boats to spoil your day. I had a wake come over the bow of my 1236 once and that's all it took to make me decide on a bigger boat. I always had to watch for wakes and turn into them or be turned over. It's not worth it. Think about how much it'll cost you to modify the boat you have and add that to what you could sell yours for. Maybe it's cheaper in the long run to just buy bigger. You could also add the cost of your gear to that figure because when the wake turns your boat over, it may stay afloat but the gear goes right to the bottom. Be safe and be smart. You can't count on boaters looking out for you. It's just like driving a car - you need to watch out for yourself.

Latest posts