Back deck on a tracker grizzly ideas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
I want to cover up the place where the batteries and charger etc. goes in the back between the transom and seat. (mainly to keep prying eyes out)

Would a 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate be strong enough? The dimensions would be 20" x 60". It would lay on top of the pods on each side and I thought maybe a hinge attached to the back of the seat or maybe just a strip of angle on the seat and on the transom and just have the plate sitting on top?

Where the gray lines are would be the angle. How much weight could this hold? Could I go with 3/16 ?

I've looked through the archives but couldn't find anything specific. I don't want to use wood because this boat will be sitting in the water most of the time.

What have other people done for this mod.?

Thanks
Sam

Do you plan to stand on it? 1/4" is going to be pretty heavy. But I would think it would support the weight. I think it is overkill. I would think that something much thinner with a few supports would work much better. Otherwise I think your on the right track.

huntinfool said:
Do you plan to stand on it? 1/4" is going to be pretty heavy. But I would think it would support the weight. I think it is overkill. I would think that something much thinner with a few supports would work much better. Otherwise I think your on the right track.

Yes, I'll probably end up standing on it. It will be real close to the seat pedestal as seen in this pic.

go to you local sheet metal shop and have one formed up out of 125 aluminum sheet and have them form up some hat sections and welded for support it will be light and strong just my 2c will

I would make a rigid connection between the back of the seat and the transom - maybe using 1" or slightly larger square-tube aluminum. To that you could hinge hatch covers that would cover each side of the cavity in the back. I did this with plywood on my grizzly but you could do the same with aluminum sheet material. If you did use the 1/4" material for the deck you wouldn't have to have supports through the middle of the cavity making the space open to larger things such as your gas tank or battery. I made mine so that with 4 screws I can take off the whole thing in case I need to take out the gas tank for any reason. Be sure to pay attention to the fact that the hatch covers need to have a corner cut off to by-pass the gussets in the back corners.
Here's the link to my solution...https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13758

I made an aluminum hinged cover for the back of my 1648 weldbuilt which is exactly what you are looking for! This afternoon I will take some pictures and post for you! Mine will hold a 300+ lb person with no flex at all!

Jeff

I am doing the same with my fisher "tracker", I am gonna support it and add a splash well, I will leave enough room between supports to get the gas tank out, I am seriously debating cutting a hole in the front of my seat and using it for storage, best i can tell there isnt a stitch of foam in there, and the seat pedestal is to far back unless you got 3' from your crotch to your knees. Im short and it sucks. I may go in the top of my seat and add a livewell and dry storage as well.

OK. Here is what I did. The supports are far enough apart to take fuel tank in and out, and it is VERY strong! Probably overboard, but its done right! The braces are aluminum angle and the aluminum sheet, I will get the specs on. The hinge is aluminum and runs the entire length.

Jeff

photo-25.jpg

photo-26.jpg

photo-27.jpg

00 mod said:
no motor on the back YET!! But when I do, I WILL have a fire extinguisher.

Jeff

That looks pretty sharp! Is that hole big enough for a motor or do you just plan on mod. it when you get one?

It is big enough for a 9.9, which is what I was gonna originally use, but since I don't have it anymore, I am sure I will have to cut a little more when I get my 20!!

Jeff

Bugpac said:
I am doing the same with my fisher "tracker", I am gonna support it and add a splash well, I will leave enough room between supports to get the gas tank out, I am seriously debating cutting a hole in the front of my seat and using it for storage, best i can tell there isnt a stitch of foam in there, and the seat pedestal is to far back unless you got 3' from your crotch to your knees. Im short and it sucks. I may go in the top of my seat and add a livewell and dry storage as well.

I haven't tore into my seat but I figured there was foam from reading another tracker boat mod where he had put a storage door in the top of the seat and had to dig the foam out.

I wondered about putting small hatches on each side of the front of the seat but I'm worried about loosing structural strength for the pedestal. I haven't put a pedestal on there yet and tried it so I'm not sure how much they move around.

mine doesnt move around bad, there is supports in there as you will see if you look real close, you can see the weld marks. If my boat has foam ill be surprised, everything else is spray foam. Mine has no evidence of spray foam through the unwelded seams.

Another approach to make a simple deck that is easily removable, rather than just open, to minimize any issues with clearance for motor, wiring, hoses,etc.. Use the aluminum angle supports mounted on the seat and the transom. Use the 1/4" plate or whatever wood you chose that would be strong enough to handle the span. This concept would work regardless of how you choose to frame or support the back deck.

Rather than put hinges to hold and open the back deck, mount a a pair of simple tabs on the rear underside of the deck plate to slide under the rear alum angle support. This could be as simple as a bolt through the deck with a spacer, fender washer and locknut underneath the plate.

Then use a pair of slam or twist handle latches on the front edge of the deck that will hook under the front support alum angle. The latches make the deck easily removable without any tools.

I know this a old post but where is that picture taken with you boat on the water.....kinda looks like a lake that i fish at often?

Latest posts