NEED SOME ASSISTANCE..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I asked in another post but It's not my post and I dont want to steal the guys post. But I'm new to tinboats and I have a 16' flat bottom boat and its 6' wide. I had a few questions..

- This boat seems really heavy and I have a 30 hp yamaha long shaft tiller. It runs great but I'm not sure if its going to be enough to push this boat around because its so heavy. So I'm trying to see what other people have on there 16' wide boats? And If my boat is not to heavy what speeds (guessing) should I be looking at?

- I'm trying to register this boat now. When I got it from the guy we did a bill of sale with a witness. We looked but couldnt find the hull number or serial number. Any other Idea's where this could be or did they not have a serial number on some of these boats? I'm not even sure who makes this boat but with out this number I'm not sure how to register it.

That's all I can think of now any help would be appreciated.

Hey Robert...

That 30hp should push you fine. 6 ft' wide is really a wide 16 footer. I'd like to see pictures of that. :mrgreen: As for plate #.....it depends on the maker o the boat. I found mine with a lot of hard looking because it was painted. Look around the back corners of the boat...on the inside. That's where most are....I think.

Post a few pictures and someone might recognize the build and tell you right where to look. Everything else I would have is really just a guess.

Thanks for the response. I have pictures I got to post them when I get home.. But yea its REALLY wide I love it. I'm gutting it now and gonna deck it and all just kinda worried because its so heavy wasnt really sure if the motor would push it around or not. But I'll post pictures when I get home hopfully someone can help me with the hull number or serial number.. Thanks again.

I have a 30hp on my 16'er,52" bottom.
Are you sure it's 6' on the bottom,that is pretty wide.
Sorry,can't help with the registration problem,not all the states are the same.
Welcome aboard.

Depending on the boat, it may only be rated for up to a 35 hp - that's how mine is (2003 1672 Voyager - it's 48 in the bottom). I'm planning on putting a 30 on mine - if I ever get done building it. Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Before you finalize the deal I would call your states game warden to find out if you can get a title.
I KNOW IN TEXAS, IF NO TITLE WHEN YOU BUY IT, YOU CAN NOT GET A TITLE.

P.S. a boats width is measured at the bottom of transom, not in the middle on top.
Example my boat is a 1548, so that means it is 15' long with a 48" transom, but width in the middle on top is 70" wide

rusty.hook said:
P.S. a boats width is measured at the bottom of transom, not in the middle on top.
Example my boat is a 1548, so that means it is 15' long with a 48" transom, but width in the middle on top is 70" wide

I agree, but the example of my boat can confuse some people because the manufacture calls the boat model a 1672, but it is what most of us would call a 1648. Some manufacturers maybe have started to change to this for one reason or another?? Not too sure why they didn't just call it a 1648, but they didn't. :?

imgonnamissher said:
rusty.hook said:

I agree, but the example of my boat can confuse some people because the manufacture calls the boat model a 1672, but it is what most of us would call a 1648. Some manufacturers maybe have started to change to this for one reason or another?? Not too sure why they didn't just call it a 1648, but they didn't. :?

Yea, grumman did that to.
I have a 1467SP. it is 67" at widest point of beam on gunwall, not bottom width.

Ok sorry I havnt posted pictures of it yet I've been busy with work. I did measure it tho and its a 16' long and 52" wide on the bottom of the boat. Its only 6' at the top of the gunwales. I didnt know that tip so thanks for the info. I still can figure out who makes this or where to find the hull number or serial number. I havnt called mississippi wildlife and fisheries yet but I will get on that tomorrow. The boat is already mine so I hope that this works out because I have alot of plans for this project.. Here is a pictures of it I've already done some work and taken pictures along the way but I wont show those because I'm going to start a build thread.

Attachments

• Boat Before.jpg
    Boat Before.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 851
My boat has two HIN plates on the transom:

One on the outside (rear) port (left) side
One on the outside and under the piece of plywood that was there for the motor mount.

I also had an Apple boat (looked similar to yours), and the plate on it was on the inside of the hull on the port side about a foot or two from the transom.

There is a good chance that this boat's plate has been painted over and you may have a very hard time finding it until you go to stripping paint..... :shock:

Ok thanks I'll look when I get home for that plate. There is alot of paint I started to take some of it off yesterday with a grinder and a sanding wheel. It's going to take along time to take all of that paint off so I'm going to get a soda blaster friday and see about taking it off that way.

From the size of the front deck and the fact that the middle bench has been taken out, it looks very similar to my 1652 MonArk. My actual length is 15 ' 10" from stern to nose, but I don't mind rounding up. If you can post a few more pics from different angles, I'd bet money somebody here can get you a pretty positive ID.

Its been a while since I've been on but here is a video of the boat. Hopefully someone can help me figure out what this is or possibly where the hull number is. I also had another question.. I had a 14' mid Vhull aluminum jon boat that I decked the front of and I used 2x4's and 1/2" plywood. When I did this I had the yamaha 30 hp longshaft motor on it. It would take off fine the front of the boat would lift out of the water but when it planed out the front of the boat would drop back into the water making the spash of the boat way up front due to the weight of the wood and it would get better if I trimmed the motor all the way out but it would still end up doing the same thing. This is why I was wondering if that yamaha would push the 16' flatbottom that I have. Anyways I see people using wood in there boats so my question is do you have any problems with it planing out? does the boat sink into the water to much. I was planning on doing aluminum (and I still might due to weight) but I priced aluminum and they only sold 4x10 sheets 1/16" thick and they wanted $101.00 a sheet. I did the math I would need 5-7 sheets to do what I want and the same for wood. So I'm not sure if a flat bottom boat makes a difference on planing due to it being flat on the bottom and it kinda just skim's across the top of the water. But I dont want to add a deck using wood if my boat is just gonna drag threw the water like my vhull did. Any input would help..

here's a video of the boat if anyone notices the make let me know and let me know about the wood idea. Video is a little dark sorry it's night time here and my garage dont have much light. I know my garage needs cleaned but there project's going on at this moment.
https://s390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/rconnell03/?action=view&current=026.mp4

That's a great video, but I still can't tell you anything about the boat. Sorry.

With as much gone, it's possible that the plate with the info has been long gone removed. Sometimes they are plates, sometimes they are stickers. Not sure yours is even there anymore.

As for the wood....it will weigh more than the aluminum and the weight may cause you a problem. You might need to get a bigger motor? I'm simply guessing though as it has a long way to go. Looks like a great project though. Keep us posted.

Boat looks like it had registration numbers on it?
That might be a way of telling what make it was.
5-7 sheets of 4X10 aluminum,wow must be thinking of doing some major stuff.
As far as your boat planing,was your motor the right length for the other boat(ie long shaft on short transom)?
Sounds like it wants to plane the bow came up,you might be right with saying to much weight in the bow but might be motor set up as well.
Good luck on your build.

Thats what I was thinking way to much weight in the bow. But now I have this flat bottom boat and got alot of plans. I was putting the front deck from the front of the boat to the middle where the seat use to be. That will add strength so it will be solid. The front deck is 8' total so I was going to have a storage compartment in the front to store all of my life jackets and stuff and (if your looking from the rear of the boat) on the left side of the deck I was going to custom make (out of aluminum) a recessed rod holder with a trap door that is 7' long. Then I was going to flatten the floor out so it hides all those ribs and make a deck for the rear with 2 storage compartments for fuel and anything else I'd like. I was thinking of a live well but everytime I go fishing I usally put my fish in a cooler on ice and I fish with fake bait or worms so I dont think of any use for a live well. I need a good aluminum welder and I'm trying to braze it to save money but I'm not very good at it. I might bite the bullet and go ahead and get the gun for my millermatic 180 and weld the aluminum. The boat was registered at 1 time I'll try to figure that out or I read on mississippi wildlife web sight that if I cant find a number all I have to do is bring it to the nearest department and have it inspected and they'll issue me a number so I might go that route. So far its been a pain in my :shock:.. I'll figure it out need to find some cheap aluminum sheets so I can get this thing going. Any idea's on where to find some cheap aluminum I'm all ear's. How can I figure out how big of a motor I can leagally put on my boat? I might make a deal where I can trade 2 outboards for 1 that I need.

Latest posts