Thoughts on Welded Tins...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbagger

Reaction score
In the process of looking for a new to me tinny. Looking in the 18' x 60 range. Nothing new, cash buyer and I've only got so much. I'm considering Sea Arks, G3's and the Lowe Roughneck line.
I know Sea Arks are built like a **** tank and I've read lots of good on the Roughnecks, but some bad. I've previously owned a G3 1652 and had a great experience.

That leaves me wondering about the Tracker Grizzly welded boats. Definitely would like some input on the good, the bad and the ugly from those with experience. Not looking at the fancy decked out tournament series. Just the all welded Grizzly with NO wood. Anyone have any input either way? I have seen a LOT of them for sale on Craigslist which makes me wonder. Granted they sell a lot of them so that would equate to more for sale.

Lots of sellers out there looking for way way more than nada list. Seems they are pricing their 4 or 5 year old boats in comparison to the brand new boats and not in line with nada pricing which it itself is RETAIL pricing and NOT private party. Wish I could find a private party suggested pricing guide for boats like vehicles on kbb.com. May wait till the winter to end up getting a much better deal.

Anyway, any input will help out.

Thanks

My boat is a 1756 Alweld. I know it's not in the list that you've mentioned, but I've had it out on waves and running it hard that I surely wouldn't do with a riveted boat. For me...welded is the only way to go.

I have owned 5 riveted boats with never a problem with rivets. Never owned a welded boat so I can speak to that. I'm trying to remember why airplane wings are riveted, not welded. You probably would be ok with either if you don't abuse it.

my lowe commander is rivetted and she's taken me through some monster waves on lake huron and beat her to holy heck on the illinois river and no issues, but my familly and friends are all commercial fishemen and all use welded boats in the 19-24ft range that take far more abuse and I haven't saw one sunk YET

Waterwings said:
...I'm trying to remember why airplane wings are riveted, not welded...

Just speculating, but I'm thinking it may make it easier to do repairs, than if they were completely welded.

It is because they have to reskin them. Cant remember last time i seen the side blow off a welded boat either. :mrgreen:

Bugpac said:
Waterwings said:

Just speculating, but I'm thinking it may make it easier to do repairs, than if they were completely welded.

...Cant remember last time i seen the side blow off a welded boat either. :mrgreen:

I came close to that happening once........................................had the front and rear trolling motors set on the #5 speed setting. The rooster tail I was throwing really ticked-off the other boaters that day. :shock: :wink:

I came close to that happening once........................................had the front and rear trolling motors set on the #5 speed setting. The rooster tail I was throwing really ticked-off the other boaters that day. :shock: :wink:

:LOL2: :LOL2:

I have owned two rivetted boats and both have leaked at one time or another. Granted they were old and beat but they still leaked. My next boat will be welded absolutley for sure.

The reason the prices of aluminum boats now is because of the economy and the price of GAS MOSTLY. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and you can buy a great 20' to 25' fiberglass boat now for almost 1/3 or more of the price it was 2 years ago. Some of these people are taking a $4,000.00 or $5,000.00 lose to just get rid of them. So now people who have aluminum boats see this happening and their prices are going up because of the GAS PRICES. Figure gas for a 22' boats gas tank is approx 24 to 40 gallons, versus 6 or 12 gallons for an aluminum boat. If in doubt, go to craigslist/houston and look at the prices, you will be amazed.
As far as rivets versus all welded, I have had both and will never have another riveted boat again, rivets for me are way too many worries for my type of fishing, which is in salt water. I have a G3, 1546 plain Jane boat I just converted over to a center console and love it and remember G3 boats have an all aluminum transom also, good fishin to ya, jus' sayin'

My work boat is a Tracker Grizzly 1756. It is a bare bones model with a tiller steer 40 hp 4 stroke. If I had the money to buy one personally I would not hesitate. It's a well built boat that would make a great flats fishing, gator hunting, flounder gigging, catfishing, limb hooking, bay fishing, river running machine (all the stuff I do in my personal boat).

Having said that, my personal boat is a 1972 model Alumacraft 1648 riveted boat. It does not leak after all this time and has been used for all the stuff listed above. The only thing I would change is that it is a true flat bottom.

I would say find a good welded boat in the size you want and have a ball.

Bugpac said:
Waterwings said:

It is because they have to reskin them. Cant remember last time i seen the side blow off a welded boat either. :mrgreen:
It's also because it's way easier and cheaper to train a guy to use a rivet gun instead of a welder

Its hard to say. Ive heard many bad bad bad stories of welds bursting or cracking due to impact. Honestly, to me they are both relatively the same.

Welded boats are generally made from a thicker gauge aluminum than riveted boats (not always, but usually). The combination of the thicker metal and the welded seams makes these boats a LOT more durable than riveted boats. They are also a lot heavier and typically need bigger motors .... and that sometimes makes a big difference to the buyer.

For example, a basic riveted 1448 Lowe Jon Boat weighs 260 pounds, uses .072" aluminum, and has max HP of 25.

A Lowe roughneck welded 1455 weighs 510 pounds, uses .100" aluminum, and has max HP of 40 (50 w/ SC)

The roughneck will be close to twice the money.

Depending on how you want to use it, either boat could be fantastic. Like my father taught me, use the right tool for the right job.

rusty.hook said:
The reason the prices of aluminum boats now is because of the economy and the price of GAS MOSTLY. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and you can buy a great 20' to 25' fiberglass boat now for almost 1/3 or more of the price it was 2 years ago. Some of these people are taking a $4,000.00 or $5,000.00 lose to just get rid of them. So now people who have aluminum boats see this happening and their prices are going up because of the GAS PRICES. Figure gas for a 22' boats gas tank is approx 24 to 40 gallons, versus 6 or 12 gallons for an aluminum boat. If in doubt, go to craigslist/houston and look at the prices, you will be amazed.
As far as rivets versus all welded, I have had both and will never have another riveted boat again, rivets for me are way too many worries for my type of fishing, which is in salt water. I have a G3, 1546 plain Jane boat I just converted over to a center console and love it and remember G3 boats have an all aluminum transom also, good fishin to ya, jus' sayin'

I have a welded 2010 1652 g3 and it has wooden transom, did you order something special??

First off, great thread! I've been eying welded boats for a while, never owned one, but sure would like to. From my chats with other anglers at the lake, dock, etc., they all seem to like the durability, but complain about weight, fuel, etc.

If you're gonna beat the snot out of any boat, getting one that's built to take the abuse is the safest/smartest way to go.

Aside from the wife :|, and my own fiscal shortage in the "new boat fund" :?, the main thing keeping me from a welded boat is the weight. BUT...I fish on a lot of small, electric-only mountain lakes. Hence, having something that's light in water, and easy for 2-3 guys to lift off the trailer and drop in the water (some of the ramps...well...suck) is [strike]nice[/strike], a necessity.

I second the "right tool for the job" mentality. =D>

Latest posts