Your winch stand and strap/rope/cable for holding down boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
Your winch stand and strap/rope/cable for holding down boat, PLEASE READ.
I have seen a lot of the rebuild/remods on here and would like to add my $.02 on this subject for all the “NEWBEYS”. Your winch strap or cable or rope holding the boat onto your trailer should be underneath the stop bar/plastic or rubber V-Stop, or flat 2” X 4” with carpet on it. The reason the strap/rope/cable should be underneath the stop bar is to hold the boat on the trailer in case of a sudden stop. If the strap/rope/cable is on top, the boat can come off the trailer and will be catapulted towards your truck or car. It has happened before and will happen again if the strap/rope/cable is not under the stop bar. You may have to drop your winch stand down a little to accomplish this. Please see pics of right way and wrong way below.

Attachments

• wrong way.jpg
    wrong way.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,648
  • wrong way1.jpg
    wrong way1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2,648
  • right way1.jpg
    right way1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,648
  • right way2.jpg
    right way2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,648
Rusty

Good points, although your boat seems to lack a safety feature that I have on mine, a safety chain. I do have my winch strap above my stop, would take a total rework to fix this. However, I have a 12" section of chain that connects from my trailer to the bow hook on the boat that isn't going anywhere. I think the addition of a safety chain will save many people from trying to re-work their winch strap arrangement. My 2 cents.

I have the safety chain but it is not on now. I live approx 10 minutes from the boat ramp and I never get over 25 mph. Now if I go to the other boat ramp, its approx 20 minutes away and I drive 50 mph, I always add it on, good point.
This was for the NEWBYS info on safety, because I have seen many a strap/cable/rope on the top side instead of on the bottom side in some posts lately.

I agree about running a safety chain. I had a winch that jumped out of gear once several years ago when I was towing. I looked in my rear view mirror I noticed the bow of the boat moving around. Fortunately I was running a safety chain, was able to pull over, tie the boat down tight, and get it home so I could replace the winch. I have also heard them referred to as blow over chains and understand the if your winch, or winch strap failed while towing your boat could get enough air under it to flip backwards over the trailer, which could ruin your day.

This is how I have mine. I do need to do a safety chain.

Attachments

• IMG_5665.JPG
    IMG_5665.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 2,609
So with the safety chain, do you have both the wench strap and chain connected to the eye at the same time? Perhaps share some pics as this safety something is something I've worried about often. If the boat comes off and there is a car close behind you and could very well cause a fatal accident

They both should be used in concert. Just as you do safety chains on your trailer. And yes they should be both connected to the eye at the same time,unless you have 2 eyes. The winch actually holds the boat on the trailer,and the chain is in case of winch failure. That's my take.

moloch16 said:
So with the safety chain, do you have both the wench strap and chain connected to the eye at the same time? Perhaps share some pics as this safety something is something I've worried about often. If the boat comes off and there is a car close behind you and could very well cause a fatal accident

This is my current setup. The winch strap is under the roller and both it and the safety chain are connected to the bow eye. I hope you can make these out. These not the best pictures to show this, but it's what I have on this computer right now

Attachments

• Winch.jpg
    Winch.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,601
  • 041011 006a.jpg
    041011 006a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,601
One other reason for the safety chain, is to keep your boat from coming off the trailor prematurely while driving down to the ramp. A lot of boat ramps are crowded, and you wait in line. While waiting you stage your boat, taking off all straps, and also your winch strap. I always wait until I'm ready to lauch, to undo that safety chain. Would suck if your boat came off the trailor before it hits the water. Just another reason for having the chain.

ncfishin said:
One other reason for the safety chain, is to keep your boat from coming off the trailor prematurely while driving down to the ramp. A lot of boat ramps are crowded, and you wait in line. While waiting you stage your boat, taking off all straps, and also your winch strap. I always wait until I'm ready to lauch, to undo that safety chain. Would suck if your boat came off the trailor before it hits the water. Just another reason for having the chain.

Yep, good idea, but I wonder how many have forgot to unhook that safety chain and tried to put their boat into the water!! LOL
I know of one last week, that was trying to drive his boat off and could not figure out what was wrong for awhile.

You just gotta work it into your routine. Just like not forgetting the plug. Stuff like that happens to all of us one time or another. I don't have a livewell in my boat, and mostly fish for a meal later on. I use a stringer, and hang it over the side of the boat. I've been cruising to the next spot a couple of times, and noticed fish bouncing in the splash beside the boat. :roll: Stuff happens, I guess.