New member, new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksc

Reaction score
Hi guys, First time on your site so please forgive if I'm not following correct procedure. Recently purchased a lowe 1652 mod v. Plan to initially use on electric only lakes here in Virginia. My question pertains to proper sizing of trolling motor and enough battery for 6 hours or so. Boat came with a 55 on bow, want to put something on transom also. Is this boat to heavy for electric only, should have checked with you guys first.

Welcome to the site.
Do you plan on fishing or just cruizing the lakes?
You will do fine with that size boat,I have the same size myself(not electric only)
You do realize you will only go around 3-5 mph?
That number won't change to much no matter what TM you put on it.
The 55lbser you have is the biggest 12V TM there is,you can parallel the batteries(2 or more batteries) to get more time on the water.
Next there are 24V motors,they draw less amps that a 12V does,plus more power but still going to take 2 batteries(connected in series).
Then theres the 36V,3 batteries(series) for this one,alot of power,draws less amps then a 12V at wide open.
When buying batteries,look for ah(amp hours)on the battery the more the better.
For some simple math lets say your trolling motor draws 50amps WOT and your battery has 150ah rating,you will get around 3 hours run time(less really)at WOT,put another battery in parallel and you will get 6hours(less abit)at wide open.
It's not good to run wide open for alot of hours straight,plus if your fishing you won't be.The trolling motor will draw less amps the slower you go,giving you more time on the water.
I get 4-6 hours of fishing time all the time on 1 battery with a 50lbs trolling motor(sometimes off).

It's possible for sure(fishing),the size TM depends on you and how many batteries you want to charge at the end of the day.
If I was going that route I'd think I'd start with 1=24V(80lbs)bow mount(2 batteries series) and see that had enough....I'd take it from there.
Pretty sure it would be okay for fishing but just cruizing,I don't think it would work.

Latest posts