Took out the Basstracker for the lake test..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
And Murphy was riding shotgun all the way from the house #-o

Left the house with no lights on the trailer. I thought they worked, but evidently they don't. Found that out at the boatramp.

Not too bad, I can fix that in an hour or two.

Back the boat in, luckily it's a small lake without a bunch of traffic. Hit the key, nothing :evil:

Climb in back thinking maybe it was something stupid, like I forgot to tighten a nut.

No such luck, the trolling motor wires shorted out and melted part of the negative terminal on the battery, somehow :shock:

Pull out of the water and fix it.

So disconnect the trolling motor wires completely, reconnect just the motor wires.

Back into the water for the second time.

Motor fires right up, this time, I forget that I've got an old motor that needs to warm up a couple of minutes before taking off. Put it in gear and start to throttle up, it dies #-o

It won't fire back up, I flooded it.

I try it a couple minutes later and get 'click' 'click'

Pull it out of the water, again.

Try another battery, same click. We're thinking solenoid. So we jump the solenoid, no click, nothing ](*,)

So, we jump the starter, no spark, no movement.

Simple diagnosis, starter crapped out.

Yay, we pondered about the pull start for a minute and decided neither of us wanted to be the guinea pig for that.

So back to the house we went.

Another lucky tidbit is that I bought two 33hp Johnsons close to the same year for parts. One of them has had just about everything replaced on it before losing compression.

So I happen to have a nice, shiny, almost new starter on the low compression motor that is exactly the same as the one that just went out \:D/

About an hour to swap out and now have a nice, new, working starter, and it appears the battery with the burned terminal is still working well(thank goodness, that would have been 100 down the drain because nobody warranties stupid).

Try it again tomorrow, and hopefully Friday the 13th will be a little lucky for us :mrgreen:

You can't really see the burned terminal in the pic, and that's the jumper we made to make sure the new starter was working
004-1-1.jpg

Shiny new starter
001-1-1.jpg

Parts motor and tractor to move the dang things around with.
006-1-1.jpg

Sounds like you had a hell of a time.

Latest posts