Ghost in the engine??? Fired up on it's own

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
Alright, I've got a 1970 Johnson 40hp Electric shift.

We've rewired the ignition piece of the wiring harness and put in a magneto ground on toggle switches to kill the motor.

We went out to the lake today and found that the battery had melted part of the terminal that the trolling motor was connected to.

Redid it and left the trolling motor disconnected because those were the only wires I didn't run.

Started burned up shortly thereafter. No worries, already fixed.

Where I'm worried and don't know what happened.

The boat was sitting in the driveway at the house, I'd left the key in the 'on' position and the magnetos turned off(grounded)

The motor fired up on it's own. It ran for about 20 seconds with no water going to it.

The head was still cool to the touch, so hopefully the waterpump wasn't damaged.

The negative terminal(the one that melted) was hotter than all getout when I yanked the clamp off the terminal. I rigged up clamps to use today to check out everything.

Any ideas on what crossed and caused it to fire up with the magnetos grounded and the key in the 'on' position and not trying to start?

I'm going to retrace and replace every wire that's questionable tomorrow and see if I can find out what the heck happened

The only thing that I can think of ( because im no expert) it that it's a sign....... Your boat wants you to do more fishin :mrgreen: