Planning a boat, a few questions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgeddes

Reaction score
I want to take trip down the Erie canal, at least parts of it. While lots of ideas have been kicked around, I keep ending up at a Tinny. Dollar for dollar they are tough to beat.

I don't fish much, and when I do it is from a kayak so this boat will not be used for that purpose (for now). A friend of the family runs a boat repair place. He literally has a pile of old aluminum boats. Should I grab a V-hull or Jon? The boat will probably be 12-ish feet as that's what fits on my trailer.

The speed limit on the canal is 10mph in the area I am considering. Will a 5hp motor get me moving that fast or should I bite the bullet and step up to a 10hp? Plans are for 2 6 gallon fuel tanks if that makes a difference.

Ideally, I will add a small center console. A place to sit and drive comfortably, and hopefully keep the boat nicely balanced. A small bimini top will be used to keep the sun at bay. I have an older, but well functioning trolling motor I would take along, with a new battery. For electronics, a handheld GPS and VHF will probably be necessary. Hopefully the outboard has a means to provide a bit of charging current available. Would a bilge pump be a good idea? I'd probably run it manually to control the use of power.

Not taking much stuff other than some lightweight camping gear, a camera and a cooler of food.

I'm open to suggestions as this is just getting off the ground. Thanks in advance!! :D

Never seen the Erie Canal but here is what I can tell ya. A flat bottom will have more displacement giving more carrying capacity than a v hull. The v hull will take waves and wakes better than the flat. Get as much motor as possible as I don't think anyone ever said they had too much motor as long as they were within the capacity plate. Easier to slow down than be stuck not moving due to current and wind working against ya. Sounds like a fun trip though. Good luck to ya and safe travels.

What part of the canal are you talking about??? I am originally from OH and grew up messing around on the Miami & Erie canals along with the St Mary's and Auglaize rivers around Celina and St Mary's Oh.

A couple things to consider...

The part of the canal that I am familiar with is shallow and you would never need a V-hull. Even in the worst of conditions the biggest wave you would see would be about 2 inches.

Are you going to be sleeping on the boat?

How long of a trip are you planning?

Maybe a small pontoon would be a better option for your area.

There was a post a few months ago where a kid was going to build a small raft/ river boat out of plywood for the same thing you are talking about.

If your area of the canal is anything like where it is where I'm from, a Canoe would be all you would need for a trip. Many portages over old locks and log jams would make a boat a bad choice.

I would love to go on a trip down the canals! There is so much history in the Canal system. You can run from the Lake Erie all the way to the Ohio river to the Mississippi and down to the Gulf if you want.

There is so much history in the Canal system.

Yes there is, and the reason for my trip. The original surveyor of the canal was the brother of my great-great grandfather.

I won't be sleeping on the boat, unless things go bad, and I'll have the provisions for that situation.

Trip will probably be a week or 10 days, long enough to see some of the canal. Hopefully it will be a one way run.

I ran the Erie Canal years ago with my brother and my dad. We left Poughkeepsie NY in our 20 foot cuddy (fiberglass) and worked our way all the way out to the Mohawk River. The canal is deep, and has long stretches in between the locks at times. If your going to the Hudson...beware. I grew up on that river, it is unpredictable and the weather channels right up the Hudson Valley and I have been out there in 6-7 foot seas as far north as the Rip Van Winkle bridge.

It was an amazing journey that I will never forget (The canal trip) and I hope you have safe passage! Take lots of pictures!!!!

Thanks for the tips. Still much in the planning stages, but it will happen sometime soon.

I know about Hudson. A co-worker of mine was running his 'glass runabout on it, and had motor troubles. He anchored under a bridge so he could walk to a parts store in the AM. He awoke that night with the boat banging on the bottom of the bridge. The tide had rolled in and the water was up over 4'. He got lucky and learned from it but it was a close one.

How long did your trip take?

As I recall, the trip took around 6-8 hours. Po town to Albany was not too bad, once we hit the canal, we slowed way down. We also got hung up at one of the flood gates as the lock master "forgot" about us...gave me time to catch the biggest largemouth I have ever seen! Rapala Shad Rap bounced off the cliff face while we were waiting...back in the day before digital cameras....but a great fish non the less!

There is a GREAT place to spend the night on the Catskill Creek if it is still there...Hop-a-nose marina...about a mile in as I recall. Great bass fishing up that way in the river too, well above the salt line and the fish dont have three eyes!!!!

sweeeeeeet another guy fishing on the Erie canal! what part of the canal are you gonna be fishing? i live down in Ilion and i launch my boats and fish there.

Latest posts