Can you use a jackplate upside down?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
I'm not sure I need it yet, I may just modify the transom. My cavitation plate needs to be right around 2 1/2 inches lower to be even with the bottom of the hull.

If needed, could I get a fixed jackplate, like the one linked, and mount it to lower the engine to where I need it?

https://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3428884

I ran it today, but the carb's acting up and I couldn't even attempt to get on a plane.

I just ordered the kit and should have it ready to try again next weekend.

Everything that I've read says it's supposed to be even, so that's what I was going by. With it set like it is now, the front of the lower unit housing is about 6-8 inches from the bottom of the transom, and the cavitation plate is about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the hull.

I "think" you could do it. As it is shown in the picture, you could mount the long side to the transom, and the short side to the motor mount.

Some questions first though. Is your motor a tiller or remote? Either way can present complications. Does it bolt permanently, or do you have the large mounting lugs that you turn by hand (can't think of the right term at the moment.) If the latter, make sure they can clear as well. Finally, will the motor be able to tilt when mounted to the lowered plate?

If you can work around these issues, then it would seem doable. But notching your transom might become the more viable option.

I'm thinking I can do it, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

It will still tilt enough for the transom saver, but I don't know if it would tilt all the way up to the lock position.

I was thinking about building a power tilt/trim box that would allow the motor to move the way it needs to. Allow it to have about 6 inches of vertical movement and a add a tilt cylinder for power tilt and trim.

Still an idea in my head, but it may be in future plans

The T&H Marine mini jack plate has 4" of setback which isn't enough to clear the clamp handles on my motor.

Latest posts