New member, starcraft help.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pworm

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member with my first post. I recently picked up a boat and trailer package for $500. Trailer had a title but the boat didn't. I know its a starcraft, but I'm not sure of the year or make. Maybe someone can help. The hull itself is in great shape. Filled with rain water and didn't leak. The transom is flat, all the way across the top, and it only has a single support. Its 14' long and just under 44" at the top of the transom. The "deck" is just resting on top of the two bench seats. Which is two pieces of plain old plywood. The whole thing will be removed. I want an open floor plan like other starcrafts on here, but I want the floor as low as possible. Which may not be an option because of the low sides. Oops, I just found out I can't resize pics from photobucket on my phone. Ill post pics tomorrow.

Welcome!

Is the weather as nice up there today as it is midstate? I keep looking for the snow around here.

Sam

Welcome pworm, look out, you are only 2 miles from Popeye (aka, Flounderhead). Lookout for him, he's a sneaky, deviant character :p :p Almost as bad as Ahab, but he is out east, Popeye is right in you back yard....... so you be careful up there.

O.k. Nothing. I need to contact photo bucket. I can see my pictures when they are on the "edit" screen. But they just show up as an "frame" when they're in the general viewing area. Not sure what's going on.

O.k. one more try for the pics. Think I got it. Pretty good pics from my droid, I'm quite surprised. So I think I kind of screwed myself on the boat. The guy I bought it from, had a title for the trailer but not the boat. I thought no big deal. He told me that the previous owner is now deceased, and he (seller) never had the title transfered since it was only used on a private pond. I emailed the Illinois DNR, and I have to do a lost title search. Which the boat doesn't have a HIN tag, so I'll have to use the old registration numbers. So according to the IDNR, once the title search is done, it will have instructions with it on where to go from there. So I don't want to start doing anything to the boat, until I know I can get a title for sure. You live, you learn I guess.

Anyways, if I get a title I would like a flat deck in the boat. As close to the floor as possible, leave the back bench in, and a small storage in the bow area. The deck that came with it, is just resting on top of the front two bench seats. Which are plain old plywood with no treatment or supports. So it will all be removed. The hull was filled with rain water, and didn't leak, even the drain plug is in great shape. But I'm not sure on the deck, since the sides of the boat are so low. Decisions, decisions.

2011-05-15_12-43-34_658.jpg

2011-05-15_12-43-48_108.jpg

2011-05-15_12-43-59_247.jpg

2011-05-15_12-44-07_518.jpg

2011-05-15_12-44-16_688.jpg

2011-05-15_12-44-29_682.jpg

2011-05-15_12-44-46_157.jpg

Not sure how things work in IL, but in MN a boat like that is not titled. All you would need is a bill of sale from the owner with the registration numbers.

Nice Starcraft you have there. It survived the most important test of being leak free. As for make and year of the boat I think it's a 67' Seafarer. I found a similar boat when I first started researching ideas for my own build. It has the same Starcraft logos on the side as yours. Good Luck with your build and you have certainly found the right site to get ideas.

Attachments

• boatprofile.jpg
    boatprofile.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 968
Thanks atuck! I was thinking it was early 70's. But all the pics I've seen of 70's models have the "dip" in the transom, and four benches. Mine is straight across, and only has three benches. I'm getting the seller to sign the title search tonight so I can begin the fun of paperwork!! Oh, and yes this site is awesome. Especially for beginning boaters. I've got a couple buddies with boats. One with a 12' jon. One with a 12' vee. Both just have bench seats, and didn't think it was worth the money to build them nicer. Then I showed them this site and now they want to build, build, build!!

Fishingcop, maybe you can help me with a legality question. I know if your just doing a title/registration transfer you can use your copy as "permit" for 120 days. Is this the same if your doing a title search? I know its a strech, but I want to get it on the water at least once to check the stability of the existing deck. That way i can determine how low I want the decking that I put in. Thanks guys for helping a newbie.

Well I finally got started on the boat tonight. Pulled the transom wood out and found a few "extra" holes. Nothing bigger than wood screws. They were up high on the transom, but I decided to plug them with JB marine weld anyways. After pulling the deck out I did find a patch job on the bottom of the boat. It was about the size of a quater, and was patched with JB. It didn't leak, but decided to redo it. I sanded it down to bare aluminum and hit with whole stick of JB. Just for the record, this boat is for a electric only lake, so it won't be taking a beating. After that I started sanding the outside for fresh paint. As old as the boat is, I was quite surprised that the camo paint was the only layer over the original paint. Which made sanding very easy. Fine grit sandpaper on my orbital sander made short work of the outside transom.

I'm not going all out on the boat since I'm on a budget and want it in the water soon. Just paint, new wood for the transom, and new wood for the benches since they're plywood. I may re-use the deck thats on it for this season, depending on how stable it is. Going to continue to sand it tomorrow, hopefully have time to prime it. I'll get some pics updated tomorrow, I don’t have a garage so once it gets dark I'm done.

O.k. folks, finally have some time to post some pics, here we go.

Here she is as I first started sanding.
2011-07-02_20-29-02_296-1.jpg

Finally done sanding after well over 15 hours into it.
2011-07-04_12-51-02_326-1.jpg

The primer color towards the top of the boat, and the final color on the bottom. It's a metallic silver, so it looks weathered which I like. Still need to grab a few more cans to finish the top half of the boat.
2011-07-04_17-51-44_908.jpg

Finally, the new transom.
2011-07-02_20-28-21_908-1.jpg

Although I can't see the pics right now (work blocks photo site links)....it sounds like a nice rig.

Welcome to TinBoats! Happy to have you on board!

Latest posts