help needed, not sure if i should proceed (more pics added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjjooohhhnnn

Reaction score
I'm set to buy this boat for $200.00 on monday. I was hoping to remove the closed bow and deck it out. Am i asking to much or is this possible?

3750fmb_201.jpg

64712g4_201.jpg

45816bk_201.jpg

I appriciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

The transom is in need of some serious help. The corner braces are gone and fiberglass is the wrong material for repairs in an aluminum boat.

I was planning on stripping it right down and redoing the transom. I'm not overly concerned about that. My concern is the closed bow. Does anyone know if I can take that off. I would support it with the deck?

Now that's a PROJECT boat...

The bow should be fine if you take off the cover. If it's seaworthy now, I'd take it out just after taking off the cover to see if the pressure of the water impacts the boat itself. Worst case scenario, you'll need to do some welding.

I know you mentioned that the transom doesn't worry you, but I'm thinking you've got a mess back at that transom to contend with. Removing the bow cap shouldn't be a problem, but I would focus on the transom first. Someone removed (I hope and didn't break off) the caps on the transom. I find it odd that they would be missing, and for there to be that much glass on the bottom. I'm thinking there could have been something serious that happended to the boat. Apparently it was enough to crack the seam at the hull and transom.

If you find that the transom is too much money/work to deal with, having the bow cover on will bring that much more money when you sell it. I'm not trying to sound pompous, just trying to head off a bad deal.

I would love to restore a boat like that with the bow cover and all and simply use it as a trolling/run about boat. I've always liked the way they look, and when restored, I bet they look really sharp on the water. I'd want to hang a 25-40hp off the back, so the transom would be a main consideration.

I personally think there are better choices for boats if you're looking to deck one out. I'd want to find one with more ribs that that. Just me. I hope you get it if you want it, and I look forward to seeing your progress if you do.

Latest posts