Clueless & Need Help: Gellcoat Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hello All;
After numerous unsuccessful research attempts, I am hoping some generous soul here can offer some helpful tips. [-o<
The gellcoat on the metal flake portion of my bass boat feels rough & has no gloss to it at all. Fiberglass color restorer has done really nothing & then someone suggested 800 grit wet sand it. That accomplished nothing but removing the flakes (& I'm afraid light rubbing compound would do the same). In short, I'd like to restore some of the high gloss/luster to this portion of my boat. Krylon for plastic (clear & UV protected) does a good job bringing out the color but very little for glossy luster. Does some company make a self-leveling type of high gloss lacquer, Gellcoat or what-have-you product that I can successfully apply with a high end quality brush or roller? Currently my skills with an air sprayer are not good enough to warrant me going that route. Any constructive advise or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi,
Hopefully someone can chime in and help you out.

I would go over and ask at BassBoatCentral in their Boat modification section. Those guys do restores on glass boats and I have read through a few posts.

They are a good resource over there too.

https://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=19

Good luck!
Jim

Jim said:
Hi,
Hopefully someone can chime in and help you out.

I would go over and ask at BassBoatCentral in their Boat modification section. Those guys do restores on glass boats and I have read through a few posts.
They are a good resource over there too.
https://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=19 Good luck!
Jim

Thanks Jim! :beer:
Looks like US Composites might be the place. I talked to their rep over the phone today.
I wonder though how much it'd cost to just have a body shop prep & spray the Gellcoat on? :-k

Metalflake bass boats have a clear gelcoat over the polyflake. If you don't have any clear over the polyflake, then there isn't much you can put over it. If you lightly sand the clear over the flake, it will sand the flake off (which you have already found out). If you don't scuff it then nothing will stick to it. Spraying clear gelcoat over the existing flake, will put more material over the flake, however it will look just as it does now. (meaning that if the flake can be felt through the clear, or if the flake is starting to change color, then putting clear over it, it will look the same with the clear now over it) If I can help you any more let me know.

Latest posts