Local boat dealer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junksta

Reaction score
Stopped by the only local boat dealer for a few odds and ends and to see what he had on hand. First thing I asked for was new screw plugs and washers for my 68 Evin 9.5 hp. He laughs in a kind of smart way and says, "fifty years old?", we don't stock anything that old. We walked out, obviously he wants only to sell boats amd motors. Went home and ordered the things I needed, plugs, pins, impeller online. Noticed the plug screws fit motors up to 2007, I guess the professional did not know anything about cross-referencing. I bet if I wanted to buy one of his new engines the attitude would have been different, who knows, maybe not. :x

I had a kid at my local dealer the other day tell me on the phone he needed the serial number from my trailer before he could look up parts.. I was like you're kidding right? serial number for 3 inch u-bolts? I thought that was kind of ridiculous but the kid didn't know anything.

Yep we are in for some serious trouble with the kids coming out of school today. To quote Jed Clampet " you can have all the book learnin in the world, but if ya can't do no sipherin, ya still dumb as a hoe handle." And that includes both my son and daughter that are in college. Some of the things they ask are amazing, surprised they can even button their shirts sometimes.

Give the dealer a break. It would be un feasable to carry parts for a motor that old. Would you expect to get parts for a fifty year old car at the dealership. Yes some parts cross to newer year models but again the profit margin on parts does not justify the time the technician spends looking in books and crossing to current database software listings. In fact it will be the rare dealership that will even work on a motor more than ten to fifteen years old. Add to that fact that Evinrude hard parts for motors that old are no longer manufactured. I applaud your fortitude in using such an antique my advice is go heavy on the two stroke oil in your mix and start saving for the replacement.

I had a similar experience with my new motors. Needed a new alternator belt for my 2001 Mercury (this was in 2005 BTW). Went to the local dealer (with the belt in hand) and the kept insisting that the 2001 Mercury 150 Optimax did not have an alternator belt.

I kept telling the dealer - "well, this is the belt" - and they just insisted that I was misidentifying my engines.

Took an hour ride to a dealer that was willing to actually sell me the part I needed. Now I just honk and waive as i go past the local guy.

Oh yeah Leprachan - Think either of us will ever buy a new boat or motor from those dealers?

Probably not but I wouldn't recommend a mercury either. hehehe, no I completely understand going farther for better customer service, I would do the same.

Leprachan said:
Give the dealer a break. It would be un feasable to carry parts for a motor that old. Would you expect to get parts for a fifty year old car at the dealership. Yes some parts cross to newer year models but again the profit margin on parts does not justify the time the technician spends looking in books and crossing to current database software listings. In fact it will be the rare dealership that will even work on a motor more than ten to fifteen years old. Add to that fact that Evinrude hard parts for motors that old are no longer manufactured. I applaud your fortitude in using such an antique my advice is go heavy on the two stroke oil in your mix and start saving for the replacement.
It was his attitude, which cannot be properly expressed in a post. His math was not too good either, Evinrude was closer to forty years old and quite common around here. Big sign, "Parts & Service" :?

Leprachan said:

no break needed to be given if they want to keep customers and a good rep they need to take the time to help people in finding parts for thier outboard or what ever, they are a dealer period. i get real tired of having to go to these stupid part stores that employ people who have no clue on how to open a hood of a car/boat/ whatever let alone sell me parts for it! if it dont show it in the computer its not made is the attitude of these new "parts" stores, :evil: :evil:

junksta said:
Stopped by the only local boat dealer for a few odds and ends and to see what he had on hand. First thing I asked for was new screw plugs and washers for my 68 Evin 9.5 hp. He laughs in a kind of smart way and says, "fifty years old?", we don't stock anything that old. We walked out, obviously he wants only to sell boats amd motors. Went home and ordered the things I needed, plugs, pins, impeller online. Noticed the plug screws fit motors up to 2007, I guess the professional did not know anything about cross-referencing. I bet if I wanted to buy one of his new engines the attitude would have been different, who knows, maybe not. :x

Yea, I like my old johnnyrudes too, and no plans to replace them soon.
I only go to the dealer when I can't get parts cheaper (or not available) online.
Marineengine.com standard shipping is actually pretty fast too.
Also, Boats.net usually has better pricing on OEM parts than the dealer.
Else, just do your homework and come with part numbers in hand.

i got fed up with poor customer sevice long ago. i give one chance then never again. retailers just dont get the internet thing.if i can find it online ,i buy.

Same here my local dealer, the only one within an hour, I asked for a 16' lenght of fuel line to relocate my fuel tank to the front I got this "why? Its just a jon boat" I said isee and walked out.

Leprachan said:

The motor has lasted this long I don't think he'll have any trouble making it last a little longer. I don't think its a new outboard he's looking for... Probably just a service guy that has some manners is all!