Any experience with a tunnel hull and prop motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHeron

Reaction score
I ordered a 1756 with a tunnel hull and 27" transom. I will be running a new Merc long shaft 40hp, 4 stroke, tiller. The boat will not have pods on the rear since I need it to fit in my garage. Trim tabs wouldn't fit either so I was thinking about a hydrofoil to help with planing. I have a 5 1/2" jackplate but thought I'd just bolt the motor straight to the transom for starters. The motor will have a 13 pitch Merc prop but not sure if I should go with a 3 or 4 blade. I have never owned a tunnel hull and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences or knowledge about setting this rig up for good all-a-round handling. Thanks.

I'd try the boat out before adding any foils.
It might be perfect as is...if you add the jack plate after,thats going to make some changes as well,might help if needed.
The little I know about props the 4 blade 1 will give you a better holeshot,maybe alittle less topend.
If you normally run a 14 pitch,3 blade prop,you normally drop a pitch when going to a 4 blade.
I own a 1652 jet tunnel but run a prop.I can't complain,it raises the outboard so I can get into alittle skinner water.Your going to loose alittle top end with the tunnel hull..3-5mph.
Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply. I'm finding it hard to wait on my boat. I have read more negative posts about tunnels than positive but ordered the tunnel anyway. This is why I appreciate your feedback. I like to know what I'm getting into beforehand but that's not the case with this purchase.

Latest posts