new member, future jon boat owner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridacracker123

Reaction score
hi everyone, my name is Joe. i live in in central fla on the east coast. i have been fresh and salt water fishing for many years on land and in my fathers boat. now that im 30 and have a son of my own, i think its time to have my own boat. my son is almost 2 years old, and is on the verge of me showing him what fishing is. i plan on modifying whatever boat i obtain since my pockets are not that deep. i am a welder/fabricator by trade, so i should be able to tackle the task at hand.

i will be fishing mostly in the flats, and inside the inlet/salt water. i really like the flat hull/jon boats compated to the v style. i guess its just easier on the eyes. i was thinking a minumum of 14'. im not really sure what i am looking for. i have been on craigslist and it seems instead of buying someone elses "ready to fish" boat, i would like to buy just the hull, and create what fits my needs.

well thanks for being here, and any suggestions to point me in the right direction is much appreciated. Joe

Welcome to Tinboats.

A nice 1448 or bigger would be great for you. The wider boat will be a little more stable with your young son in the boat and give you a little more room to work with. I have an Alumacraft 1542 from Academy Sports and I like it. While not as wide as the 1448 its a foot longer and that helps with stability too. Tracker makes a 1542 as well. a 20 or 25hp will move you right along pretty good in a boat that size.

The problem is that there are not too many people that want to let go of boats that size on craigslist. all I ever see are 1236, and 1436.

Hey Joe....great to have you as part of the TinBoat family. You have already started in the right direction IMHO. Tins are a great choice and perfect for modding. Don't give up on Craig's list. There's a lot to be found there but sometimes it takes a little patience. Either way...you came to the right place. Any questions you have, someone here has an answer or two. Don't forget to use the search function at the top right corner of the page. It finds things that you'd never expect. :LOL2:

thanks eveyone for the warm welcome. i will take a gander at the search section.

besides craigslist, wheres another good place to look? as far as the #'s go on the

I am real close to ya and your on the right track looking at tin boats. I had a glass boat and redid the bottom several times from crunching oysters while flounder gigging. I have a G3 1448 and like it just fine. I fish the St. Johns and the lagoon as well as just about everywhere else within a hours drive from me. I have not modded mine much, pretty much just added seats and wiring and carried on. Still do not want for much especially not carpet holding salt and fish slime.

floridacracker123 said:
i have been on craigslist and it seems instead of buying someone elses "ready to fish" boat, i would like to buy just the hull, and create what fits my needs.

well thanks for being here, and any suggestions to point me in the right direction is much appreciated. Joe

I'm a newbie here too, just joined yesterday.

My thoughts are the same as yours. I just bought a used aluminum 14 foot last week. Might as well start at the bottom (literally) and put in some sweat equity.

Good luck on your project.

Latest posts