Finally Landed A Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Outdoorsman

Reaction score
Been away for a little while, sorry about that, been going thru a difficult "divorce" of late with my now ex. :( But on to the good news. Seeing me bummed, my dad decided to take matters into his own hands and bought a boat that I had showed him that was on Craigslist. He also bought a practiaclly brand new 5hp merc to go on the back of it. He told me to deck it out and get to fishing. So thats what Im going to do. Finances are a little tight right now so I will have to economize to start out, but more than anything, just want to deck it and fish. Here are some pics of her. Shes 16' long and got her at 48" wide at the top of the seats so Im guessing 46" on the bottom?? Just havent checked the bottom width yet to fully know. Im also going to repaint her too.

Attachments

• Jon Boat1.jpg
    Jon Boat1.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Jon Boat3.jpg
    Jon Boat3.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Jon Boat4.jpg
    Jon Boat4.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Jon Boat Transom1.jpg
    Jon Boat Transom1.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Jon Boat Transom2.jpg
    Jon Boat Transom2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,059
Nice boat man, lots of possibilities. FYI, my seats are 48" at the top and bottom width is 40".

Ok, bringing her back to life. Been busy with life and work and had to put the boat on hold for awhile. :oops: But Im back at it. Got my motor for her and already ran into a problem with the transom. The wood for the transom does not go all the way to the top thus not allowing the motor to seat properly. The way the previous owner has the transom set up (as seen in the pics), what are your suggestions on how to fix my issue?? Liquid nail a strip in the vacant spot? take it apart and readjust it? Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1jonmotor2.jpg
    1jonmotor2.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 731
  • 1jonmotor3.jpg
    1jonmotor3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 731
  • 1jonmotor.jpg
    1jonmotor.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 731
Looks like you need a short shaft motor unless it's just the camera making it look too long.

If there is wood under where the clamp scews are you should be good to go.

There is wood for the clamp screws to touch as seen in the second pic. my concern is that they are not "flush" with the wood, part of the clamp screws are above the wood and its digging into the wood if i clamp them down. I fear that if i need to take the motor off and put back on, over time it will eat at the wood and tear it up where i need to make a change or something so the motor is good and flush with the transom.

I think I'd put a strip of aluminum under the motor clamps, to eliminate your concerns. Plus is will spread out the clamping force. Just my $.02...
Good luck with her!

Light weight small motor should be fine as long as the clamps are tight. You can always bolt the motor on also which would be much simpler than trying to rebuild the transon. Drill two holes and two bolts and nuts along with some 5200 sealant and it is done.

tnriverluver said:
Light weight small motor should be fine as long as the clamps are tight. You can always bolt the motor on also which would be much simpler than trying to rebuild the transon. Drill two holes and two bolts and nuts along with some 5200 sealant and it is done.

I think I follow this, but any chance you have a picture of this set up???

No pictures but there should be a place for bolts on the bottom of the clamp on the back of the bolt.

That is one nice Jon! Even without any additional touches you're in for a good time on that boat! The merc 5 is a pretty good sized motor for it too if its a 2 stroke.

Djknyork said:
I think I'd put a strip of aluminum under the motor clamps, to eliminate your concerns. Plus is will spread out the clamping force. Just my $.02...
Good luck with her!

Exactly what I did, 3/16" aluminum rectangle and it does spread the clamping force. Aluminim has the 'circle' marks on it from the motor clamps, but the wood underneath is protected.

Latest posts