Make my boat more fishable? Tips and Tricks Appreciated

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I have basically wrapped up the conversion on my boat. This is how she sits on the water today...

2011-05-24%20boat.jpg

I'm looking for ideas or tips and tricks to make her more fishable. I have lots of IN the boat storage, but not so much ON the boat storage. What that means is I can pack all sorts of tackle, nets, rods, etc to the lake and the boat looks pretty empty, like in the picture. But once I get on the water, I pull out 3 rods for myself, whatever my backseat angler has, a net, the big tackle box, a hardware box, worm bag, real worms or minnows, etc. and the boat becomes cluttered. Right now the console becomes the favorite storage spot for this stuff including life vests coats etc- it gets ridiculous quickly. The net is ALWAYS in the way, but with toothy pike in the water and usually kids on board, I feel it should be handy - but where to put it so it is available, but not being tripped over or about to fall in the water? The top of the console becomes the holding spot for pliers, clippers, drinks, etc. Moving anywhere fast becomes a major ordeal to clean the boat first so nothing falls out. Who would have thought 16 feet wouldnt be enough?

Any ideas on how to make it more fishable? At this time, I'm thinking of getting rid of Batt #1 and making that fishing box storage, maybe a holder for pliers, clippers etc mounted on the front of it. I;d have to switch the gas tank and other battery to other sides of the boat, or put them on the same side and move the cooler to the driver side, otherwise it would really list with 2 batteries on the driver side. What the heck do you guys do with your net? Where do you keep you drinks? How about pliers? Am I missing some sort of boat organizer that I forgot to install?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Will

I think your boat looks awesome as is! You have more storage and fishability than any other 16 ft package boat from any of the package boat companies.

My only suggestion is to look at some of the package deals from tracker, lund, alumacraft, lowe, fisher, and the others. See what they might have that you don't.

From your description you have everything they do, at least in the 16' lines of boats.

Maybe you just need a BIGGER boat?

reedjj said:
I think your boat looks awesome as is! You have more storage and fishability than any other 16 ft package boat from any of the package boat companies.

My only suggestion is to look at some of the package deals from tracker, lund, alumacraft, lowe, fisher, and the others. See what they might have that you don't.

From your description you have everything they do, at least in the 16' lines of boats.

LOL if I tell the wife I'm going to look at some new boats, she might shoot me :LOL2: I built what I wanted, but somehow I feel like I'm missing some things. Of course, now I'm thinking it is my fishing style too. Maybe I just need to go back to basics, just one fishing box with everything I need in it. I've actually used the livewell as storage for tackle boxes/ lifevests, etc. I rarely keep the fish anyway, so it is a handy place to drop stuff into.

wasilvers said:
I have basically wrapped up the conversion on my boat. This is how she sits on the water today...

I'm looking for ideas or tips and tricks to make her more fishable. I have lots of IN the boat storage, but not so much ON the boat storage. What that means is I can pack all sorts of tackle, nets, rods, etc to the lake and the boat looks pretty empty, like in the picture. But once I get on the water, I pull out 3 rods for myself, whatever my backseat angler has, a net, the big tackle box, a hardware box, worm bag, real worms or minnows, etc. and the boat becomes cluttered. Right now the console becomes the favorite storage spot for this stuff including life vests coats etc- it gets ridiculous quickly. The net is ALWAYS in the way, but with toothy pike in the water and usually kids on board, I feel it should be handy - but where to put it so it is available, but not being tripped over or about to fall in the water? The top of the console becomes the holding spot for pliers, clippers, drinks, etc. Moving anywhere fast becomes a major ordeal to clean the boat first so nothing falls out. Who would have thought 16 feet wouldnt be enough?

Any ideas on how to make it more fishable? At this time, I'm thinking of getting rid of Batt #1 and making that fishing box storage, maybe a holder for pliers, clippers etc mounted on the front of it. I;d have to switch the gas tank and other battery to other sides of the boat, or put them on the same side and move the cooler to the driver side, otherwise it would really list with 2 batteries on the driver side. What the heck do you guys do with your net? Where do you keep you drinks? How about pliers? Am I missing some sort of boat organizer that I forgot to install?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Will

Sounds like you just need to start putting things away.

I always store my net with the handle down in a rod holder.

That looks like a GREAT boat.

If you're unhappy with that....May I suggest buying a submarine. You can get closer to the fish and be "one" with them. :mrgreen:

boat looks pretty good as is. I would ditch the large tackle boxes for plano 3600 or 3700's. you can get the foldable cup holders from bp or cabelas. I would put one or two bungie rod tie downs on the front to secure your rods when moving. not much you can do with a net except get a collapsable one. they are always in the way.

that is one great looking boat, awesome setup.. was it originally a console or did you convert it? i like your idea on removing one of the batteries, i would think 2 would be sufficeint. how big is your net (length wise) if not too long how about 1 or 2 rod holders mounted on sides of hull near the rear just stick it in the rod holder while driving around, would be nice and handy/easy to get to when you need it. aslong as its not like 4+ft long.... and you could use the rod holders for a errmmmm extra rod/s while crusing the water

Some good ideas... I think mounting the net in the back by the engine might work. I had it in a rod holder in the previous version of this boat and was always thinking I was going to get caught in a backcast and go overboard. But if it's in the back, then the other angler can worry about it. If it's in their way fishing, then they're fishing the wrong side of the boat! :roll:

The boat was a console when i got it, it and the livewell were recycled from the version 1.0

Fishdevil - you are right, me alone in the boat, it fishes like a dream - adding a person or two in it and I just don't feel like there is enough space.

Guess I'll be using some plano boxes in the original battery compartment. That should keep the tackle mostly off the floor. I know frabill makes a net that folds up into a small cylinder - maybe Santa will bring me one this year :) Amazingly, I haven't broken a rod in the boat yet... broken them while in use, but not in the boat. 8) (knock on wood)

As to a bigger boat, I looked at pontoons the other day... Still don't think that's even big enough.
Thanks for the help and sympathy.

Great looking boat. I have owned 2 tiller (my first boat and my last boat) and 3 side console boats. I currently have a Polar Kraft 168SC that is rigged much like your boat. It is 16'8" long with a 85" Beam, and an Alumacraft 1648. We can get the 168SC so crowded that you can't move! When we fish the 1648 we take just the gear we need and it seems less crowded than the 168Sc.

Side consoles eat up a lot of space in any boat. That's why I will stay with a tiller set up from now on out.

Attachments

• Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,584
  • 041011 006b.jpg
    041011 006b.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,584
I PRETTY MUCH HAD THE SAME PROBLEM A FEW YEARS BACK I HAD TO SIT BACK AND LOOK AT ALL MY STUFF AND I DECIDED THAT I DIDNT NEED ALL THE TACKLE THAT I OWNED IN THE BOAT AT 1 TIME, AS I DONT FISH FOR 1 PARTICULAR SPECIES AT A TIME I MADE UP SEVERAL TACKLE BOXES THAT WHERE SPECIES SPECIFIC AND I WOULD ONLY TAKE THOSE WITH ME, IT HELPED ME ALOT, BUT IT HAS STUNG ME ONCE OR TWICE, BY NOT HAVEING WHAT I NEED WHEN I NEED IT THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE IS A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD GOOD LUCK :)

reedjj said:

So I took your suggestion today and looked at all the boats avaiable at Cabelas. BTW, they have a great deal on a lowes 165 w/ 50 hp for $12k. Anyway, I openened every hatch and looked in every console. I left there extremely happy with my storage space and setup. So I don't have a cupholder - boo hoo. The boats I looked at (aside from the 18-21 foot dedicated glass bass boats wouldn't even fit all my stuff now, and none of it would be accessible when fishing. I would have the same problem as I have now. Even looked at a bigger boat, had storage for 17ish rods, but not much else.

So I'm very grateful for how this boat turned out. A few adjustments and it'll be just right!

Next time though, I'm going with a tiller model too. The console with be replaced with a built-in tackle stand!

wasilvers said:
reedjj said:

So I took your suggestion today and looked at all the boats avaiable at Cabelas. BTW, they have a great deal on a lowes 165 w/ 50 hp for $12k. Anyway, I openened every hatch and looked in every console. I left there extremely happy with my storage space and setup. So I don't have a cupholder - boo hoo. The boats I looked at (aside from the 18-21 foot dedicated glass bass boats wouldn't even fit all my stuff now, and none of it would be accessible when fishing. I would have the same problem as I have now. Even looked at a bigger boat, had storage for 17ish rods, but not much else.

So I'm very grateful for how this boat turned out. A few adjustments and it'll be just right!

Next time though, I'm going with a tiller model too. The console with be replaced with a built-in tackle stand!

Now that sounds like a great ending to a story. =D>

Very nice conversion.

Cup holders: They start the day empty, and full of lures by the end of the day. If someone leaves them in the boat, they become community property. ;)

Net: We use a large net (muskie capable) with long handle. Any verticle storage has caught lures by the end of the day. Net needs to be out and ready to use. On your boat, I'd lay it horizontal (net verticle) against the port side of boat, by your passenger seat. The handle will extend across your rear deck, near the port side. Probably mount one clip to hold in place.

Rods: Always a PITA on small boats configured like this. We run the bow persons rods angled off on starboard side, such that they hang off the boat, by the console starboard edge. Our trolling motor hangs toward the port side. The rear persons rods are placed along the starboard side, rod tips hanging off the back of the transom.

Anyway, I hope that helps some of your placement issues, and yes a larger boat will always solve this! ;)

I have a similar 16 foot set up and use a folding net stored behind the drivers seat on it's side. You can get drop in cup holders at any marine supply. Paid 1.59 ea for mine. Pop a couple in the console or deck or wherever.
Nice looking ride.

I keep a large coffee can in my boat to use as a trash bucket for busted up plastics, line, etc. You could do the same thing but use it to throw your baits into. Mounted to the side of my console I have a holder for my pliers and scissors. It works good because I usually sit on the edge of the deck to re-tie. Cup holder in the front deck and a little caddy/cup holder on the floor between the seats. I keep my net sitting on the floor against the console with the handle leaning against the front deck. Keeps it within reach while fishing but mostly out of the way.

That's a nice looking boat Will. As a couple others have mentioned, the best thing you can do is move out of a dedicated tackle box and go to the Plano style boxes and let your boat storage basically be your tackle box. My brother does this with his full sized Ranger. When I fish with him I drop my one bag down into a storage box in the rear and only take it out when I need to access it. The only thing we really have out in the boat are our rods and the net. A collapsible net would stash away somewhere.

I feel your pain. My boat gets crowded fast with two guys, and so does my buddy's 18 footer. Half to problem is the coanglers tackle bag and rods. I'm thinking about making one of those rod racks you see on the nonconsole side just to keep the rods organized and in one place.

You might want to consider investing in one of these: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bac_Rac_Rod_Rack/descpage-BACRACK.html

Latest posts