New Guy with a couple of questions, well maybe allot of ?s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C4orge

Reaction score
Hello the camp, New guy here, C4orge, and I wanted to say to Jim and all participants that this is a very inspiring site and I am so glad I stumbled upon it.

The work shown by the members is fantastic and idea stimulating. The work by Jim on this site is all so awe-inspiring. It has taken me weeks to just get to post. Couldn't even remember my user name and it took me forever to figure out how to get that. Thanks JIm. :D

I would love to have a boat and this site has given me hope that not only could I get off of the bank but it can be done with extreme style. I would be proud to be fishing out of any and every project boat I have seen on this site. Well done to all. =D>

So I have to ask is there places I can go to look up for free terms and definition of boats. Example chine? or free board or nautical terms as they relate to boats like, following seas and broach which seemed to go together in context.

The other starter question I have is the relatively recent post by the Texas gentleman that built the 18' jon into a fishing machine front elevated platform, elevated center console, sponsons, fantastic job by the way love to find that post again, loved the pictures, what's the name? Back to the question, I saw what was called sponsons. What is their origin and purpose and how do you know the configuration is correct? Example to long, to short, to wide, to narrow, do they run flat with the hull? Do they offer any more stability or carry capacity. #-o Makes my head hurt but I got to know.

Ever watch "Swamp People" 1st season, one of the gator hunters built from scratch a jon boat, which turned out awesome, for a Louisana local. Hull design? Just by Gosh and By golly? :shock: Where is a laymans primer for learning what modifications would work for you and which ones won't. Example Texas gentleman again. The elevated front platform and elevated center consol how does that effect the center of gravity of the existing hull design and what could be done, if anything needs to be done, to improve the performance of his boat?

Well I better stop for every question stimulates another question. I could be here all night.

Thanks again to all for an excellent site. It's like hanging out in the shop with your buddies dreaming up the next project.

C4

Welcome, and as far as terms and such, and since ya never owned a boat. It would not hurt to contact your local Coast Guard Auxillary and ask about a boating course. Lots of great info there. Here is a link https://www.cgaux.org/boatinged/classes/2011/bss.php also might check your states Fish and Game website as it may provide some answers for ya. Florida has this https://www.myfwc.com/boating/safety-education/boating-glossary/ not quite the terms you are looking for though. Good luck and hope you are on the water soon.

Thank you fellas for the replys. "Rusty Hook" was not the build I was looking for but another fantastic build none the less as well as very inspirational. =D> I will keep looking for the build and if I find it I will post it.

The boating class makes alot of sense and your right that boat building terms I am looking for may not all be at a boating safety class but that will be excellent info.

I did find a site called a.b.b. Amature boat builders. I did not notice a terms and definition section however their are references to all the boat building terms and with drawings to boot so in context you can come to an understanding.

If I find anything else I will post just incase there is someone else besides me that might want to do hull modifications as well as all the neat stuff that is going on at this site.

Thanks again

C4

Latest posts