Throttle cable binding...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgpemt

Reaction score
hey gang, forgot to add this in my update and figured it may be worthy of a new thread. I mounted the outboard the other night and after I hooked up all the cables to the motor I just had to run them. the tranny linkage works great, the throttle linkage seems to be bound up somewhere. It does move, but under great strain. the changes that I have made since the last time the boat was wet include modifying the console, and reversing the handle on the remote control.
Now with the helm moved astern a bit, and elevated, the cable length did not actually change. I did however try to hide the extra cable (18 foot control cables in a 16 foot boat) in the rear corner of the transom while it was all open. Is is possible that I overtightened something in the remote head itself? Could there be a kink in just one of the two control cables? I am tearing into it again tomorrow when I get home from my ambulance shift and will update this thread as soon as I figure it out. Until then, since I'm up most of the night, any ideas are appreciated....becuase...you all ROCK!

Thanks gang!

Bob

Sounds like the cable is shot - it happens especially when you are removing it an dinstalling it. Just get a new cable and you will be fine

Unhook from your motor, stretch out the cable and work the shifter/gas, and then you will know for sure what you need to do, make bigger loops or get a new or shorter cable.
P.S. a little hint about your cables, shift, gas or steering, NEVER EVER PUT GREASE ON THEM, ONLY LIGHT OIL, GREASE WILL SOONER OR LATER CREATE BINDING AND ITS A BIG JOB TO GET OUT OF THE SHIFT TUBE ON YOUR MOTOR. I KNOW, LOL

Rusty, I did just that, unhooked it from the engine and it worked just fine. I hit the cable end with some WD and it freed up greatly. think I am in good shape.

Thank you!

Latest posts