New Project Boat - 1st Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
Hello, it has been a while since I've joined. At that time, I'd had already completed a 14' Starcraft conversion:
https://www.canadalake.org/Starcraft67.html
https://www.canadalake.org/Starcraftii.html

I have been looking on and off for another good project boat, and was focused on wide style jon boats. I finally pulled the trigger. I purchased a 1995 Discovery Marine Inc (DMI) 1648 with a 1998 Mercury 25HP Electric Start Tiller. The motor is in excellent shape, and the boat hull does not have any major damage to contend with. The bench seats were removed by previous owner, and small modifiations done. Overall, a good platform for modification.

The plan for now will be running and using for the summer. Testing for stability for decks, and how much weight I can expect to add without turning the boat into a plow. Along with, the "fun" stage of planning boat layout and construction techniques. :) Construction will start in the late fall when the Starcraft returns from up north.

So, this is just a warning for a number of specific posts/questions to follow. :roll: I do try to search and read what I can, but sometimes getting a fresh opinion is in order.

BTW: DMI was a small local (Preble, NY) alum boat mfg that either went under or was assimilated by a larger company. I thought it was Misty Harbor/Ultracraft, but their current line-up dosn't include the same jon boat. The boat construction looks very similiar to many other mod V jons, such as the Alumacraft 1648.

JonBoat3.jpg

JonBoat2.jpg

JonBoat1.jpg

This is what I do, and it may an overkill to some, but this is what I have been doing for years and has always worked out real well for me. It is a lot of work, but I try and have some fun in the process.
I go to different boat builders sites to look at their different styles, and Ebay for different ideas, and to Craigslist to look at their pics of boats and grab pics of the boats that I can. I make a folder on my desktop and add these pics to it as soon as I get them. I might have 30 or so pics, then chose and incorporate the design I want for my boat. I try to plan before I start so I have some since of direction I want to go and the cost.
I always plan out my boats that I build, in Microsoft paint, then transfer over a jpeg file. I enter estimated prices in Excel to determine costs, etc. and make an items to do list in Word.
I always think about, will I have enough power to get this boat out of the water or not. Will it get me back safe if I take 2 people with me will it still be enough power to handle it.
My boat is a G3, 1548 allweld, not rivets, so it is heavy and it had a 25hp pull start tiller style on it. I sold that motor and put a 40hp electric start tiller style on it knowing I was going to add a lot more weight. Did not want to be underpowered. It was a BARE BONES boat when I got it, nothing in it but a trolling motor, gas tank, and 2 batteries, but I wanted a lot more.
See some pics and drawings before I started.
I have since converted from the first mod I did, that was a small side console over to a center console.
Some boat manf sites I looked at, there a lot of other good boat builders.
Alweld Aluminum Boats
G3 Boats
Fisherboats
Alumaweld Boats
Bass Pro Shops
Lund

Measure twice and cut once, good fishin.

Attachments

• Factory pic.jpg
    Factory pic.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,690
  • my.boat1548VBW..jpg
    my.boat1548VBW..jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,690
  • mod. no 2.jpg
    mod. no 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,690
  • My boat floor plan.JPG
    My boat floor plan.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,690
  • tackle box..drawing.jpg
    tackle box..drawing.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,690
Nice job on the earlier boat.
Is that nissan 40hp a 2 cyclinder?
If so,how are you liking it,thinking of picking one up.I really don't need another one but buddies only asking $850 and if I can get it alittle cheaper I may get it.
Nice looking boat for your next mod.

Rusty: thanks for the great tips and tools to use. :) thx I am a believer in that max outboard = recommended. ;) It says it will take a 40hp tiller, but have seen similiar boats w/sc that have a 60hp rating. I'd have to rebuild transom to 20", though. For now, I want to see what that 25 will be able to do.

Zum: We bought that new (in box) in the 80's from a bankrupt hardware store. Paid $1500 which included controls and gas tank. It replaced a '76 35hp Johnson, that warped a head. The Nissan/Tohatsu has significantly better build quality over that Johnson. I bought another Nissan (new) in '97, an 18hp 2 stroke. That motor has been good, too. There use to be a decent price savings over the big boys. Now, not so much.

I look forawrd to seeing your progress. I am in the process rusty talked about. The "information-gathering" stage.

After testing the outboard on the muffs yesterday, splashed the boat for the first time, this AM. While the boat has welded seams, it has rivited support ribs. None of the rivits leaked. :) With 430lb of people, I got a solid and repeatable 26mph wot on the garmin gps. That is better than I thought. Motor was able to plane out quickly with very little bow rise and nice smooth ride (there was only a small ripple on the river).

I did some standing stability tests, and this will be more stable than my Starcraft Mariner V. Casting decks at the original bench seat height should be no problem.

I am going to move forward with this boat/motor combo for a river fishing boat. Down the road, I might up the motor hp or maybe even go to a jet drive.

Latest posts