Wooden boat seat material.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunmedic

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for reading.
I have a Lund 1448m, that I want to put wood on top of the aluminum seats. Does anyone have suggestions as to the type of wood I should use? I don't want to use plain plywood, I would rather have a grain to it. I plan to put fiiberglass resin on it to weather proof it, would this work?
Thanks for any help, Gary.

Resin alone on plywood will work, but it will not really have any strength and if your planning on sitting on it, then you probably do better to put a mat and resin on it. From my experience, resin alone on any kind of wood eventually peels off.

Some 1/2" - 3/4" oak would look good. Apply 1 or 2 coats of stain (depending if you want it dark), and then seal it with a couple good coats (2 minimum) of Minwax Spar Urethane, making sure the end cuts are sealed well. Is the boat stored indoors or outdoors? Do a final sanding on it, then use a tackcloth on it, and also in between coats sand it lightly with some fine sandpaper again (going with the grain), and use a tackcloth on it again to remove any dust before applying another coat. Tackcloths are inexpensive and can be found at just about any paint store, Walmart, Lowe's, etc. If you've never worked with Polyurethane before, do not shake the can, as it will cause air bubbles in it. I normally just gently stir it when I open the can. Use a good brush making long one-way strokes to apply it. That method has always worked well for me.