Aluminum Transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red450r

Reaction score
I see that alot of the custom boats run an all aluminum transom. I'm looking to cut the weight down in the stern of my boat which currently has a wooden transom, has anyone ever replaced their wooden transom with aluminum? How exactly would you go about doing this?

I did this with my 1232. I just double two sheets of aluminum with a third square of aluminum where the motor mounts. I just didnt want to have to replace a peice of wood 10 or 15 years down the road. Theres a link to my build on my sig if you want to see a pic of it. hope this helps you out.

the wood in mine is about two inches thick and covered with aluminum sheet metal, i should have been clearer in my post.

Tator, thats a nice looking livewell

Thanks for the compliment on my build. Im not sure how you could do that with aluminum. Im sure theres a way but I havent seen anyone do it. If it was me I would try to get a piece of hardwood and treat it. That would last alot longer than just plywood. Maybe someone will see the post thats done it before with aluminum. Good Luck

I'm working on my project boat that has been sitting in a backyard for 20 years. I just looked at the transom today (Gregor all welded hull) and it looks to be a 2 x 8 piece of wood under the aluminum skin. Just a little dry rot on the bottom edge so will let it go for now.

I'll be following your thread as an aluminum transom would be interesting. I know I can get aluminum stock at a metal yard, but not sure of the sizes. Maybe a road trip is required!

I guess you could pull the wood out and just cut a piece of aluminum stock to fit but I wonder about how much weight you would save, 60 or more pounds and I think it would be worth a try

Latest posts