1989 Force 50hp Power Tilt/Trim Issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama.hunter

Reaction score
The power tilt/trim is working pretty good, but with one small problem when trimming down the motor will stop about 3-4'' shy of being completely down for some reason. I can physical push it down the rest of the way, but when I did this I noticed some fluid coming from the top of the cylinder….which was problem a bad idea after the fact. Also after it is pushed all the way it is having a hard time raising the motor back up almost like it is stuck or it has to build up pressure.

Anybody have an idea of what might be wrong? Also this is the first time the motor has been used in a while.

Thanks, Jay

Sounds like your low on fluid. I would check it and make sure it is filled. That will probably fix your problem.

If it leaks when you push it down most likely the trim cylinder is bad and at least needs resealed.

skeeter1804 said:
If it leaks when you push it down most likely the trim cylinder is bad and at least needs resealed.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

How hard is it to reseal one?

The seals are probably bad and since there is oil presently leaking, it is probably low. Yes you can overfill it. That is what usually starts them to leaking. They can be pretty tricky if your not very mechanically inclined.

huntinfool said:
The seals are probably bad and since there is oil presently leaking, it is probably low. Yes you can overfill it. That is what usually starts them to leaking. They can be pretty tricky if your not very mechanically inclined.

When I got the boat and motor the previous owner showed me where it had been leaking fluid, which was around one of the hoses so I put Teflon tape on there and it sealed it up. Then I added ATF fluid and it looked like it was working fine until you try to trim it all the way down, which as I described earlier it would stop about 3-4" from being completely down.

My Dad pushed on the outboard to get it to go all the way down the last 3-4” and then I raised it back up, we did this twice and the second time we noticed the fluid coming out of the top of the hydraulic arm. The only time the fluid came out of the top is when my Dad would push down on the outboard; when going up or down with the outboard there was no fluid leaking.

How much fluid does a power tilt/trim hold?

Thanks, Jay

huntinfool said:

Ok I just took another look at it, the good news it is going all the way up and all the way down now, but still with a little pause. The top of the hydraulic need resealed from the looks of it and it looks as though the hydraulic arm is bent a little....I'm assuming from the preivous owner. Can this be replaced easily when being resealed.

trim2.jpg

Here is a couple of pics, you can see the arm is bent and where there was some fluid coming out at the top.

Attachments

• trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,263
bama.hunter said:
trim2.jpg

Here is a couple of pics, you can see the arm is bent and where there was some fluid coming out at the top.

Well there's your problem.

I'm sure the rod can be bought and replaced, but would require you to tear that whole piston assembly down. You might want to look out for a used one on eBay.

Latest posts