1-man boat idea/brainstorm

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seif5034

Reaction score
Hey yall.
I've just been thinking of making a small general purpose boat. I'm warning you ahead of time that this is gonna be mostly me rambling about my idea. Let me know what you think about it. Good idea? Bad idea? Plz contribute ideas, suggestions, and wisdom

I'm not totally sure of my boat's actual width because I've never taken a measurement and I'm currently in Korea, so I can't exactly go measure. I know it's 12' and from comparison (by looks) to other boats I'd say it's a 1232. Now I have read the Post about 32" not being ideal for decking, however like it has been said it's all about personal preference, and I am planning on building this boat for solo use or possibly 1 passenger. All of my passengers prefer to fish sitting down so they shouldn't make me too tippy.

On to my boat's concept. I want to deck everything from my center bench forward. I'll probably just build on top of the benches to keep things simple and that'll give me plenty of space underneath to add a livewell and storage bins. I'm also playing with the idea of putting in a Center Console at the Aft of my Bow decking and putting in a remote steer outboard. Something along the lines of 20-25hp. Whatever I can find for cheap. Of course I'd need to strengthen my transom to do that. If I DO install a center console and large outboard, I imagine I'll built a mostly cosmetic deck to cover the fuel tank.

Let me know what you think. I can Create illustrations if I need to make my concept more visual.

I like your idea but dont know if you will have the room for a console or will be able to float it without building some kind of float boxes on the sides. I decked mine from the middle bench to the front and added a livewell. I added a large livewell because I plan on running jugs and I bate with live perch alot of times. Of course I had to make sure it was large enough for a 30 pack and ice too :LOL2: If you make this idea work be sure and post some pics. I would love to have a big motor on mine but I think anything over a ten is probably too much for my 1232. Hope this helps and good luck

Console may cost you more space than you want to give up. I would definetely stay at 15 hp or less (more than likely the boat is rated for a 10. I would suggest going with aluminum for the decking, livewell, etc. to save on weight if you do decide to build this. Location of the seat on the front deck will be a huge factor. Three generations (a father, son, and grandfather) lost their lives this past year gigging from a 1232 when too much weight in the front of the boat cause it to flip, tossing them into frigid waters. So, please, be very careful when fishing from a deck on these smaller flat bottoms - it can be very dangerous. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do (with pictures) :D

How ironic, I just pulled out the console out of my 13'6" aluminum boat today. It really opened up the boat with more usable space. The previous owner fished alone a lot and even had a hand crank setup on the port side to a bow roller for the anchor which was a pretty neat setup but being that my GF and I usually go fishing together, we opted for more floor space.

Latest posts