Line X question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I am going to Line X the interior of my 14 foot Valco.
I have taken off the old plywood seat tops.
I have the new plywood to replace the old.
Question:
Should I have them spray the boat without the new plywood, or should I go ahead and install the plywood before spraying?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

It ain't my money, so I say go for overkill. :)
Spray a layer of liner on the bench. Lay the ply on the bench, then continue with the liner until the entire piece is sealed, paying special attention to the bottom edges of the ply. This way the wood is completely sealed against moisture.

I've had Line X in the back of my truck since 2004 and have absolutley zero complaints. Good stuff, but it might be heavy in a boat. Also, I don't know anything about how effectively it bonds to wood.

lbursell said:
It ain't my money, so I say go for overkill. :)
Spray a layer of liner on the bench. Lay the ply on the bench, then continue with the liner until the entire piece is sealed, paying special attention to the bottom edges of the ply. This way the wood is completely sealed against moisture.

I've had Line X in the back of my truck since 2004 and have absolutley zero complaints. Good stuff, but it might be heavy in a boat. Also, I don't know anything about how effectively it bonds to wood.

You just gave me a great idea....
I can take the wood pieces with me to Line X and they can spray those seperately, then I can install them after the spray is finished. Thanks.
Regarding the weight, I was told that it would add about 50 pounds, which isn't bad.

think about how you install the wood after being line x'd, you may ruin the integrity of the coating depending on how you install.

TNtroller said:
think about how you install the wood after being line x'd, you may ruin the integrity of the coating depending on how you install.

That's what I was debating about.
Not sure how to go about it, the only thing I know is to place them on top and use stainless steel screws.

lbursell said:
Hey, glad to be inspirational. 8) Be sure you share the pics.

I'll have to get my son to take pics again :) ...my camera doesnt work with my PC

using screws would break/puncture the line x coating, and water can then get to the wood unless you could then cover up the screw heads with something to seal them up again.

TNtroller said:
using screws would break/puncture the line x coating, and water can then get to the wood unless you could then cover up the screw heads with something to seal them up again.

The screws will be going into the lip of aluminum along the edges, not into the body of the seat.
I am also going to varnish the wood...maybe I can cover the screws and holes with additional varnish.

bcbouy said:
fyi, you can get a roll on liner product similar to linex at your local autoparts store ,good for touchups/covering screw tops.

Thank you...that's good to know, I appreciate it.

Latest posts