plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdf210

Reaction score
i got an old richlin that im going to fix up and it missing the plug. can i just buy one like a rubber one and it work or do i have too find one that screws in like the old one . I really dont know much about it.

I've got an old Alumacraft with the screw in plug also. Mine is corroded to heck, still trying to find a replacement myself. If I figure something out I'll post it.

First of all...welcome to TinBoats JFDBasser. Happy to have you here.

I've not seen a screw in plug like you mention. Can you take a picture of it? That will give us a better idea as to how to solve this problem.

1/2" galvanized plug or a brass one will work. They are used a lot down here in the salt. Personally I do not like them, but if I was 100 miles off shore with no one else around, it sure is a good piece of mind to know the plug is screwed in and will not fall out.

Thanks for the welcome. Loving this site, find myself spending WAY too much time on here :lol:

Here is a pic of the drain in my 1954 Alumacraft. Please excuse the mess, its going through a mod right now.

Attachments

• 0531111053b.jpg
    0531111053b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 851
Wow....I've never seen anything like that. I was hoping to offer some insight, but I've got nothing. Sorry. Sounds like a really cool looking boat though. When you have time....post pics of the boat too please.

1954 is a pretty old boat. Love good looking classics.

I added my build to my signature. It's a neat project. I struggled with restoring it to original or making it what I wanted. I ended up going for a build like Hanr3's and Alumacraft Joe's. Hopefully it turns into a boat I can take my kids out in, surprisingly my bassboat isnt all that safe for three year olds.

Huntinfool,
I think your on to something with the 1/2" brass plug, just need to find one. Here are the other pics you requested....if I can find a 1/2" bolt in my basement I can at least figure out if thats the size I need.

Attachments

• 0531111053.jpg
    0531111053.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 839
  • 0531111053a.jpg
    0531111053a.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 839
1/2" NPT threads. Get a 1/2" galvanized or brass plug it will take care of your problem. A 1/2" bolt will not work as it is not the correct threads. If you can't find the plug let me know, I probably got one laying around somewhere.

Well, thanks for the recommendation of the NPT thread plugs. I ended up finding a 3/8 MIP Brass square end plug that is a perfect fit, but I wouldnt have found that if i wasnt looking for the NPT plugs you guys told me about. Thanks for the lead. First pic is with the new plug installed. Second pic is what my drain looks like on the outside of my boat.

Attachments

• 0531111948.jpg
    0531111948.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 804
  • 0531111947.jpg
    0531111947.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 804
Rusty, it's definatly a 3/8" plug, fits perfectly. I thought it was small too, but it is old....some of the old ones from that era have NO drain, so I guess this is better than none....

Can't wait to finish my MOD and get it on the water.....it's going much slower than I had hoped, but I guess thats normal.

Rusty- 3/8" NPT is completely different from regular bolt thread sizes. I didn't know that either til I tried to find a livewell standpipe for my rig (still to no avail)...

Latest posts