waterproofing????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
the first deck i put on my boat,the hatches or doors to get into the bow storage were not sealed to keep water out,i figured this time i want to seal them but need some ideas on how to go about it....

If it is in you budget i would suggest buying some nice hatches from bass pro shops. They are strong enough to stand on and seal up tight.

i thought long and hard about this on my build. i decided it wasn't worth the effort. i rarely fish in the rain/chop, except camping and then it might rain for 1 day so i just put any water sensitive stuff in a dry sack. i thought about the plastic hatches,but the big ones are really expensive,and the water will get in one way or another,if not the hatch then somewhere else.boats do flex.

How about building coolers or something similar with a strong lid into the deck? Or...you can put rubbermaid boxes under the hatch and only use the lids when it's raining? Just a thought.

all 3 of you guys make valid points and they are all being taken in to consideration.......

No such thing as "waterproofing" any place on a boat. Water will find its way everywhere.

Plan for water intrusion instead of trying to kep it out. If you provide a path for it to escape once its in there, it wont be a problem. My whole floor is slightely pitched and sits above the boats ribs, the ribs have a channel down the center leading to my bilge pump in the back of the boat. When I get water above deck, it mearly flows the path of least resistance, downhill. Only way for my compartments to get soaking wet is if the bilge stops working or cant keep up. At that point, keeping things dry is going to be the least of my worries.

I do have paperwork on board that I keep in a plastic bag, which is stored in a plastic coffee can.

They are right on.....anything that is in your boat CAN get wet..... My other boat is an overpriced Ranger with supposedly "waterproof" storage...boat has fiberglass lids with rubber seals for all of the compartments.....things still get damp....not soaking wet, but damp none the less.

Hanr3 said:
No such thing as "waterproofing" any place on a boat. Water will find its way everywhere.

Plan for water intrusion instead of trying to kep it out. If you provide a path for it to escape once its in there, it wont be a problem. My whole floor is slightely pitched and sits above the boats ribs, the ribs have a channel down the center leading to my bilge pump in the back of the boat. When I get water above deck, it mearly flows the path of least resistance, downhill. Only way for my compartments to get soaking wet is if the bilge stops working or cant keep up. At that point, keeping things dry is going to be the least of my worries.

I do have paperwork on board that I keep in a plastic bag, which is stored in a plastic coffee can.

Agree. IMHO, trying to keep water out, just leads to water trapped that can't dry out, which leads to mold/mildew/rot.

Latest posts