How do you keep a new screw from leaking?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
My Dad used to own this boat before he died, and he didn't use a trailer...he had a loader so he could crank onto the top of his truck. The boat still had long metal pieces that held the wheels on the back of the boat.
I took them off today, removing eight screws, four of which are below the water line.
When I install new screws, how can I insure that they won't leak?

Thanks

Put a dab of 3M 5200 under the heads before you tighten them down. It will ooze out from under the head. Wipe it off, leaving a nice even bead around the screw head.

However, I'd drill the hole out to the next even size, and install a solid rivet in it's place. No need for sealant or anything else at that point.

I just did the same thing.

Went to Lowes and bought some 10-24 1/2" stainless screws with locking nuts. Installed them with 3M 5200, tightened them down and ground off the excess screw threads. I did this to all the stuff I took off the hull.

I never did anything like this but when taking off the old screws, apparently the previous owner did the same thing and I couldn't even take the nuts off of the screws. I had to use a Dremel and cut off twenty something screws! Even after sitting for 20 years, I could still see the white 5200 in the old bolt threads!

That answers it for me, thank you all very much.
I had to saw through one of the bolts, the others came out okay.
I'm going to leave the existing transom wood and have the Line X sprayed over it.
I may replace some of the bolts, however.

sirbeigealot said:
I'm going to leave the existing transom wood and have the Line X sprayed over it.

My Gregor had a loose bolt going through the tied downs and into the transom so decided to change it to a stainless steel bolt and locking nut. While at the store I bought four new bolts/nuts just in case. It was easy to change them as these were the only ones without some 5200 on them which I don't understand due to the exposure to water. Anyway, one of the four bolts had so much corrosion and rust where it rested inside of the wood transom that it would have snapped soon! I feel much better now.

nomowork said:
sirbeigealot said:

My Gregor had a loose bolt going through the tied downs and into the transom so decided to change it to a stainless steel bolt and locking nut. While at the store I bought four new bolts/nuts just in case. It was easy to change them as these were the only ones without some 5200 on them which I don't understand due to the exposure to water. Anyway, one of the four bolts had so much corrosion and rust where it rested inside of the wood transom that it would have snapped soon! I feel much better now.

I think I'll be okay leaving the existing wood...at the bottom the wood is connected by a bunch of rivets, and I don't want to get into that. But I will probably change out at least some of the screws.

Latest posts